Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   1st Gen. Ram - All Topics (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/)
-   -   $120 for new door latch?!? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/1st-gen-ram-all-topics-93/%24120-new-door-latch-247737/)

belchos 07-17-2009 03:08 PM

$120 for new door latch?!?

I went to shut the right door on my W250 club cab and it just bangs against the jam - will not latch. Everything looks fine from the outside (without taking panel off). Checked on the price of a new latch and was quoted $120 [yuk]. Is there any place to get one more reasonably priced? I am assuming it needs a new latch, but ? Thanks.

torqmonster 07-17-2009 03:35 PM

Same problem here, priced it out and I had the same reaction. Went to a local junk yard and got a whole door for $50. Check junk yards.

belchos 07-17-2009 04:13 PM

Thanks. I'll probably have to start checking junk yards, but I imagine it will be an internet deal from outside the area; these First Gens are a premium around here (NorCal).

PADuallyBoy 07-17-2009 04:17 PM

Is it maybe that your hinge bushings are worn out and the lock is hitting the door jamb post?

wannadiesel 07-17-2009 05:48 PM

Try one of the online Dodge parts places. They are dealers who sell parts at net price instead of list. Which coast are you closer to?

Crossy's son 07-17-2009 06:13 PM

Just take all that white plastic crap off.

that gets cauhg up and stops the latch from coming back and thats why it slams when you try to shut it

belchos 07-18-2009 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Crossy's son (Post 2529738)
Just take all that white plastic crap off.

that gets cauhg up and stops the latch from coming back and thats why it slams when you try to shut it

How do you do dat?:o

sdseva 07-18-2009 12:20 AM

People are having a hard time getting in my passenger door. Is the plastic just covering a metal piece?

wannadiesel 07-18-2009 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by sdseva (Post 2530022)
People are having a hard time getting in my passenger door. Is the plastic just covering a metal piece?

Yes, the metal is plastic coated to protect the latch pin. I tried peeling the plastic away, but the scraps kept getting bound up and it would still stick. I got frustrated and bought new ones. On the bright side, the passenger latch is cheaper than the driver's side.

ppiggppenn 07-18-2009 11:32 AM

my latch will sometimes close when the door's open, so all I do is press the thumb button on the door handle and pull the latch open with a screwdriver. .... so the posts used to have plastic covers did they? ... lol

schamran 07-19-2009 04:45 PM

Take it out and clean it. I found a piece of broken plastic from the latch itself keeping it from unlocking! Just start by cleaning all of the dirty crap out of it, and re-lube it and see how it works. I think gun oil would work great for this, b/c it's not supposed to gum up. --won't stick around as long as grease though.