1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

well my Head liners out

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well my Head liners out

I went to go re route and clean up the rats nest of wires from my XM radio. Since I bought the truck the headliner has been saggin and is only getting worse. Anyhow I figured now is the best time to take it out and fix it up. Its out of the truck. I looked thru the how to section and didn't see anything. for some reason I remember seeing a post on it. Just looking for ideas right now. I think i can live with out in for a bit. Hopefully the truck will not be too loud like the rabbit truck I had with no interior. Am I best to reuse the fabric thats one there or fine something new at the fabric store? It looks like there is foam on there thats ready to fall apart between the fabric and cardboard liner. I'm going to route some spare wires up there for future add ons I think while its down. Plus repair some of the cracked plastic stuff. hopefulley this goes smooth.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:03 AM

With the headliner, clean most of the old foam off the headliner and get new fabric. Use a good 3M spray adhesive, and use plenty of it.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=184681
Old 01-10-2008, 04:35 PM

Well I did some shopping around today. The one upolstery shop I called kept calling my truck a mega cab and told me 150.00. Little sweet for me being a jack of all trades. for 75-100 I would have let them at it. I contacted the guy on ebay selling head liner material. He does not have a template but if i send him the measurements he will make me a prototype for 100.00. I found what looks like a good material for it at a local fabric shop. Its grey and foam backed. Looks like I'm doing this one on my own. In the mean time I'm routing all my wires around for the XM and gauge pod and doing repairs on all the cracked plastic stuff. The head liner did come out there the passenger side door fairly easy. Make sure the truck is cleaned out, ashtray is closed or removed and the seats layed back. Its tight but it will work.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:45 PM

Here is how to replace the headliner in your truck. I have done many of them in my shop. You can get your material from Graham Fabric Supply in Columbus, MS. Their website is www.grahamfabrics.com....Super nice people there, and I have always got super fast shipping, got exactly what I ordered the first time, and got real southern hospitality over the phone. .......
............Cut a sample out of your old headliner, about a 2 inch by 2 inch squre and mail it to them so they can match it up. Or you can call them and get a sample headliner material chart and you can match it up yourself. If you are only going to be doing the one truck I would advise just sending them a sample so you aren't wasting their sample cards. Those should be reserved for their repeat customers to be considerate of them. Measure your existing headliner from front at windshield in center(measure front and back at longest points) to the back glass, then add about a foot more for good measure.(An extra foot is very little cost to make sure you don't end up a half inch short and wasting 4 or 5 feet) You can tell them how many feet you need, or just order by the yard. 1 yard is 3 running feet, 1 and 1/3yards is 4 feet, 1 and 2/3 yard is 5 foot...etc etc. Clean all of the old foam off using a stiff bristled brush. I always used a whitewall tire brush, either with plastic bristles or with the metal bristles if it was really difficult to get off. It is important to get all of the loose sticky foam off until you have a smooth, uniform surface down to the backer board with no loose pieces to cause lumps under the new material. You will need 2 cans of 3M part # 08088 "General" trim adhesive. Make sure you do not get the "Super" trim adehsive. Super is for vinyl tops, not headliners. After you get the backer board clean and blown off with compressed air if you have it, next dry lay your new material over the backer board as it would be when glued down. Then fold the material in half folding it over the other half so that none of the part that shows when finished can be seen now. This protects the finished side from any glue if you get sloppy with it. Next spray one coat to completely cover the entire half of backer board you can presently see, then do the same completely covering the foam on the back of the headliner material. Then do the same thing again rotating the spray pattern 90 degress. You will end up with 2 coats on the backer board 90 degrees apart, and also 2 coats 90 degress apart on the back of the headliner. Be liberal and make sure there is no area that does not have glue on either the backer board or the material. After letting this get tacky for a couple minutes,(make sure is not wet) then start folding the headliner material over the backer board starting from the center and working your way out. Remember you will likely not be able to pull the material back off and do it again if you drop it in the wrong place on the outer edges. It is best to have a little help holding it up while you work it down from the center out. After you have this done, now fold the other half back over the half that you just glued down and repeat the process. Next, trim off the edges with a "new" sharp razor blade. You now have a new headliner exactly the same way an professional upholstery shop would do it. The only difference in this way vs the way the upholstery shop would have done it is that the upholstery shop would likely have used glue in bulk from a gallon can sprayed from a spray gun because it is cheaper to buy glue in bulk from. I can assure you that the bulk glue is only cheaper, but not better quality that the 3M 08088. The headliner material should cost less than $6.00 per yard plus freight, and you can get the glue from any auto supply store or you can even get it from Wal Mart for about $9.00 a can. I hope this helps anybody out wanting to Do it yourself.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:01 AM

i went to jo annes fabric and bought headliner and fabric adheasive . did a whole suburban for around 100 bucks to 150. now a suburban is like four pickups worth. this is the fourth rig i have done this way and it comes out just fine.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:17 AM

My 90 doesn't have a headliner.... Is it missing or did some trucks not come with one?

Does anyone have a picture of what they look like in the truck?

How do they mount to the roof?
Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 AM

here is my post showing new headliner

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=97931

I got mine from Jo Ann Fabrics
Old 01-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went ot Wal-Mart and bought the fabric I wanted. Used 3M adhesive and installed it. ALL for about $ 20 dollars.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:47 AM

I just picked up grey foam backed headliner material at Joann fabrics for 15 and change with a coupon. for that price I'll roll dice and see how it comes out. I'll try and get some pics of it all.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 PM

my wife gets the coupons for 40 percent off. allways helps.