Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Whackamole, my personal KDP story (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/whackamole-my-personal-kdp-story-232673/)

patdaly 02-09-2009 11:08 PM

Whackamole, my personal KDP story

3 Attachment(s)
Ever feel like you are playing whackamole? You know, whack one mole and another pops up? That is what this winter has been, my KDP fix kit is setting at the office, no time to put it in my new 97........ Saturday, went to get a set of rotors for a buddies S10, as I walked up to the truck, uh-oh, oil on the ground?

I wanted to throw up when I raised the hood......Sure enough, the dowel pin had struck.

I guess what really irritates me is this thing has the nicest un-detailed engine of any I had ever seen........on the other hand, I am thankfull that she did not leave me stranded, like I said, she never even hiccuped.

Here are pics, for now I have made a bridge with 3M Aluminum adhesive tape and covered it with JB Weld. So far, so good.

But I do know better though. [duhhh][duhhh][duhhh]

Dr. Evil 02-09-2009 11:14 PM

Aaaaahhhh - its a myth - doesnt happen to anyone.

j/k - sorry to hear you got bit Pat. Sure took a nice size chunk out of the case eh?

Now, for those have not taken care of the issue - Id say take a good look at this. This is for the early 24V guys as well.

Swarthy Dago 02-10-2009 12:00 AM

OKOK I fixed mine today. 2 hours to get into it, tomorrow back together. now i can sleep ?

Tate 02-10-2009 12:42 AM

Atleast you can easily inspect the cam gear for wear . . .

patdaly 02-10-2009 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil (Post 2382415)
Aaaaahhhh - its a myth - doesn't happen to anyone.

j/k - sorry to hear you got bit Pat. Sure took a nice size chunk out of the case eh?

I am glad if I had to get bit due to my own stupidity, that it exited where it did. The fix was reasonably quick, and I can keep an eye on the JB weld for signs of cracking ( would indicate the case is flexing. )

And Tate, good one......actually I did inspect it both running and not.

When life gives you Lemons.................

Totallyrad 02-10-2009 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 2382635)
And Tate, good one......actually I did inspect it both running and not.

When life gives you Lemons.................

That's the first Cummins powered pencil sharpener I've ever seen.[whistle] (Must be a government model.)[laugh] It's also the first one I've seen to bust the top out of the case. Gravity usually makes the damage occurs a little lower on the case. Sorry you got bit.:(

JohnBer 02-10-2009 08:08 AM

okay......mine ain't goin's nowhere's till I fix that thing. only have 104k on it i'd like it to go to 500. Off to find the kdp kit right now, good timing, got a week off waiting for another job to start.
sorry to see that damage.

BBWD 02-10-2009 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by patdaly (Post 2382409)
I guess what really irritates me is this thing has the nicest un-detailed engine of any I had ever seen........ [duhhh][duhhh][duhhh]

Pat:

Sorry to hear your misfortune. A little engine cleaner will make her look like new after you fix to case and dowel pin. Good luck man!

John (DH)

infidel 02-10-2009 10:13 AM

When KDP damage first started appearing back in about '95 I knew several people who wouldn't even drive their trucks until the pin was contained.
Seems like when you know about the problem it's more likely to strike.

JohnBer 02-10-2009 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 2382791)
Seems like when you know about the problem it's more likely to strike.

Gee, thanx, now i aint drivin it fer sure till its fixed.

dodgetrucker75 02-10-2009 03:50 PM

rebal just did both of mine this week... the first gen has 320k on it and the bolt next to the dowl pin just about fell out, and on the second gen, with 150k, the dowl pin had come out over 1/4in.:o:o

haloman 02-10-2009 03:55 PM

That is a good looking engine. Hopefully there is no other major damage.

DodgeMonkey 02-10-2009 09:39 PM

Yeah, I just got owned by mine the other day. read here
Killed by the Killer Dowel Pin

VICIOUS FISHER 02-10-2009 09:56 PM

Any Body Got A Good Thread On Kdp Fix ....is It A Do It Yerself Or Shop Job?

rebal 02-10-2009 10:10 PM

It might not have been the dowel pin.... that stupid bolt next to it has caused just as much head ache.

I did 2 kdps this week and 1 had the pin out a 1/4" .the other the pin was tight but the bolt was 1/8" out of its hole