Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   TST kit for Killer Dowel Pin (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/tst-kit-killer-dowel-pin-94796/)

Abbynormal 03-06-2006 07:04 PM

TST kit for Killer Dowel Pin

Anybody ever use the TST kit to fix the KDP ?
http://www.tstproducts.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=64
Is this a good / easy fix or what is the best and easiest ? What does the repair entail doing ?

Willy91 03-06-2006 07:29 PM

Many people have used that kit, including me. It is a very good kit the instructions are very detailed and everything thing you need besides tools is in the kit. The fix is pretty simple and took us about 4 hours to complete. :)

TxDiesel007 03-06-2006 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Willy91
Many people have used that kit, including me. It is a very good kit the instructions are very detailed and everything thing you need besides tools is in the kit. The fix is pretty simple and took us about 4 hours to complete. :)

Yessir

i have as well. I have a writeup on it as well..

Tx

MrKen 03-06-2006 07:37 PM

This is the 1st thing I did, and I too used the TST kit. Very good instructions. I also replaced the cover gasket, just because, but it seems as if many use the existing. The only problem I had was stopping the vibration dampner from rotating while tring to lossen the bolts. After the advice here, I used a pry bar wedged into the slot and it worked great. Ken

big jimmy 03-06-2006 08:10 PM

Or you can make your own tab in about 5 minutes using a diagram someplace around here.
If you are into DIY, making a tab is about as easy a job as you'll ever encounter.

johnsjas 03-06-2006 08:24 PM

Dumb question but I have my engine torn apart (head gasket). could I just pull the pin out myself?

Dr. Evil 03-06-2006 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by johnsjas
Dumb question but I have my engine torn apart (head gasket). could I just pull the pin out myself?

Nooooo....you dont want to pull the pin out - you want to hammer it in and make sure its doesnt come out (using wicking loctite and a blocking plate [tab]).

You have to remove the timing case to get to the KDP....so its nowhere near the head gasket.

TxDiesel007 03-06-2006 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Nooooo....you dont want to pull the pin out - you want to hammer it in and make sure its doesnt come out (using wicking loctite and a blocking plate [tab]).

You have to remove the timing case to get to the KDP....so its nowhere near the head gasket.

Dr is right..

(as usual) :D You have to keep the pin in there cause it has some internals properly aligned. Removing it will misalign these parts and could cause trouble.

Rick

IBREAK 03-06-2006 09:39 PM

I just finished it I can sleep now. My pin was alot farther out than the picture in the directions. Guess I was lucky the kit really helped mainly for the directions however you could easily make the blocking device your self.

Dr. Evil 03-06-2006 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Dr is right..

(as usual) :D

Nahhh, most of the time Im just making it up as I go :D

northslope 03-06-2006 11:40 PM

I was under the impression that the pin was for proper alignment during engine assembly only and had no effect on anything once the engine was assembled.

Dr. Evil 03-07-2006 12:05 AM

I dont see any reason to take it out...

Baja 03-07-2006 11:02 AM

I just did mine. I would make a "map" or diagram of where the front cover bolts go. Since they are different lenghts, it will make it easier to put them in the correct location during the installation. Loosen the fan nut before you remove the belt. It is much easier to hold the fan with the belt in place. If you do not have a wrench for the fan nut, take a long punch, place it on the right (driver) side of the nut and hammer away. I have the proper wrench, and I still found it easier to hammer in loose. I used a anti-seize compound when putting the nut back on. You never know if you will have to take it off again. Plan on 1/2 day, have a beer.

gmctd 03-07-2006 06:23 PM

You may be confusing the timing cover locating dowel, required for alignment, with the timing stop pin, required for timing, which could be removed.

dodgeramrod 03-08-2006 03:52 PM

I got all the gaskets needed at local parts store for $25, made my own pin/kdp stopper, took about 2 hours.

Jim