12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Truck still going tickity tack!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did the stethoscope deal and could not identify a ticking noise in any particular place. Dont want to be under the truck while it is in gear and it only ticks under a load/in gear with throttle so I have a dilema. Guess I could start throwing parts at it but not made of money so.........................
Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your fuel pressure is right on, so your lift pump up is to spec. Our lift pumps make noise, but they are reliable. I don't know the auto transmission (flex plate stuff), but to me all indicators point that the ticking is coming from the pump. I would not throw parts at it, it does work, unless the noise just drives you nuts. Hey, I'll take your old pump.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:07 PM

I had this bad tick sound coming from the drivers side (noticable at idle). It sounded something like an exhaust leak or a rocker. I have suspected the transfer (lift) pump but at $247.00 plus $11.00 for some new hose assembly that you have install because the pump has been revised, I said forget it! The whole problem went away when I replaced my fuel filter and bleed it according to the manual. I just installed the filter and cracked the 10mm bleeder on the top of the filter mount then manually pumped the lift pump until fuel appears. Makes me wonder if there was air in there causing the problem. Either way I can't argue with success!

Glenn
Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned

at this point, I think I'd probably just turn up the stereo and drive it
Old 03-22-2007, 09:44 AM

Ok, update, sort of. Had to take some emergency leave and drive the truck to Texas from Georgia. Truck made it no problems and got around 19 mpg at 70-75 mph the whole way. Now the question is, would a truck with internal engine problems do that well? I know something could break at any given moment as I have had happen on road trips in other trucks that gave no indication of problems. Still trying to rule things out. My sound, now that I have read another similar post, sounds like a helicopter, the whump, whump, whump. Almost like a Huey is following me everywhere I go. It hasnt broken yet! Should I just get over it if it has made it this far?
Old 03-22-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you say it only makes the sound under a load.

just a shot in the dark here but how about finding a dyno and put a slight load on it, then search with the stethoscope?
Old 06-16-2007, 02:12 PM

might get a chance to do just that here soon as the chapter is trying to organize a dyno day. I would think if it was something internal and critical it would have failed as it has been doing this for some time.
Old 06-16-2007, 02:32 PM

Since you say it only does it in gear under load, try putting the truck in 4x4 and driving it. See if the ticking noise changes. It could be the transfer case rear output shaft snap ring has failed. Usually the resulting noise is a horrible grinding sound that goes away in 4x4, but since checking it doesn't cost anything it seems worth a try.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:01 PM

I will give that a shot and drive it to see what it does. If it goes away then the output shaft snap ring has failed? Would I have seen some type of carnage by now if it had failed? This has been going on for some 10k miles now and nothing has broken so I am wondering if I should go to the head doctor.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:56 PM

Installed the stack and now I can hear what is going on a little more clearly. Have not ridden in any other 12V trucks in a long time so I dont know if they all sound this way. Until I really get the rpm's up, it is almost chugging through the exhaust. Could this be a fuel related problem? When I get in it, it smooths out but at low rpm or smooth acceleration, it almost sounds like I have a glasspack muffler. I know I have probably given four different explanations of the sound, but I just cant figure it out. It has not been any of the other suggested culprits. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:38 PM

Did you check your lift pump spring. It could have bad spring pressure causing the valve inside to bottom out.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:59 PM

Not the lift pump. We are beyond the normal ticking causes. I believe this is an internal issue just dont know where to look. I believe it may be injector or head related. All of the injectors test good when cracked at idle. Meaning the engine changes tempo when I crack the lines.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:36 PM

shot in the dark, Piston wristpin.

usually you wont hear it prominently until you put load on the engine then it will make a louder knocking sound, and its very difficult to pinpoint.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
My 98 developed a "lifter tick" sound today. It sounds just like a down lifter in a gasser. Comes on at 950 and goes away at 1100. I'm going to change fuel filter and check the valves before I change the OFV.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:30 PM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine went away after I changed the filter and bled it.

Quick Reply: Truck still going tickity tack!!!!!!!!!!!