12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

5.9 cummins 1992

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 5.9 cummins 1992

I'm rebuilding a 1992 cummins 5.9, dropped oil pan found what looks like a half moon 4.5 diameter 1/2 wide 1/8 thick piece with 3 uneven tabs on the inside, WHAT IS IT a spacing gage for rod clearance or WHAT, HELP
Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by peterlo221
I'm rebuilding a 1992 cummins 5.9, dropped oil pan found what looks like a half moon 4.5 diameter 1/2 wide 1/8 thick piece with 3 uneven tabs on the inside, WHAT IS IT a spacing gage for rod clearance or WHAT, HELP
that`s the thrust flange off of the main bearing that controls the end play of the crank shaft. pry the crank forward and rearword and you`ll see excessive end play. the newer thrust bearings are one piece and the thrust flange cannot come off like yours did. if they try to give you another 3 piece bearing, do not take it . make them get you one of the new style. you can replace the bearing with out removing the crankshaft.use a thin screwdriver and tap the bearing on the side without the locating tab, and after the bearing is about 1/4" out on the opposite side, pry on the outside of the locating tab, and rotate the crank. the bearing should follow. lube the new bearing, lay it on the crank and use your fingers to slide it back under the crank, may have to use the screwdriver to get it in all the way. if you`re rebuilding then just remove all the main bearings after you remove the crankshaft.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:22 PM

Smile jtamulonis

jtamulonis Thank you for your info bit of history on the engine, I bought it used to replace mine 5.9 had only 159000 miles and it went on a fritzz i was exchanging parts from mine to the one I bought it ran and sounded good in the pickup but the owner blew the tranny so he gave up on it. as I was taking the oilpan off some of the screws were southern engineered the gasket wasn't tight and leaked so he just kept adding oil not changing it, it looked as though someone has worked on it I tried to to move the crankcase as you suggested but could not my neighbor also tried but could not move it as I so I wonder if someone had already replaced the flange and the bearing also do I need to pull the push rods or something else to free up the shaft any suggestion will be appreciated
Old 04-27-2018, 12:45 AM

jtamulonis Thank you for your info bit of history on the engine, I bought it used to replace mine 5.9 had only 159000 miles and it went on a fritzz i was exchanging parts from mine to the one I bought it ran and sounded good in the pickup but the owner blew the tranny so he gave up on it. as I was taking the oilpan off some of the screws were southern engineered the gasket wasn't tight and leaked so he just kept adding oil not changing it, it looked as though someone has worked on it I tried to to move the crankcase as you suggested but could not my neighbor also tried but could not move it as I so I wonder if someone had already replaced the flange and the bearing also do I need to pull the push rods or something else to free up the shaft any suggestion will be appreciated
is the engine still in the truck? or on an engine stand? if you take the 4 bolts that hold the harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft, remove the balancer, reinstall the 4 bolts half way in the crankshaft, then use a long bar between any 2 bolts to turn the crankshaft. if you still can`t turn the crankshaft the pistons may be rusted to the cylinders. you should be able to turn the crankshaft with a 3 ft pry bar easily.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:48 PM

the engine turns over easily but there seams not to have any play forward or reverse in the crank, peterlo221
Old 04-27-2018, 07:03 PM

the engine turns over easily but there seams not to have any play forward or reverse in the crank, peterlo221
take the main bearing cap off that has the thrust bearing, it is the number 6 main cap, and look if it has both sides on the half in the block. I have NEVER seen anyone replace a thrust bearing and leave the broken part in the oil pan. also some 5.9 cummins engines have thrust bearings on the upper and lower bearing. some engines have the thrust flange only on the upper bearing. look and see what kind your engine has. if your engine has the full upper and lower thrust flange and one of them fell off, your crank will have no excessive end play. if your engine has only thrust flange on the upper bearing and one flange fell off, then you would have a ton of end play when you use a large screwdriver to pry the crank front and rear.