12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Trany was slipping really bad this morning

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Trany was slipping really bad this morning

Hi guys I was out for an enjoyable ride down to my shop ... I may have a worn out trany ...LOL . This is what I have The truck is new to me so I know nothing about it , the trany was done , I don't know when .
I have not drove the truck in 3 days , I let her warm up for like 5mins ...I even let the converter fill up in neutral , I was on the road for about 2 miles and the trany started to slip really bad .
I stopped for coffee and continued to my shop it did not slip after that ... So I readjusted the front band just to make certain and I took out on a 3 mile run ... it seemed like it's old self .
It has allways had a funky spot around 50/55 mph , every once in a while it feels like it slips little ...it could be the converter locking in and out .
The trany has a new tps , all new fluid , lubegard , and a new filter .
I'm thinking I should start saving for a new trany ...LOL
Thanks guys

Greg
Old 01-29-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
One thing you could do to help things is up the line pressure in the valve body. You have to pull the pan and partially pull the VB, but then it's as simple as turning a screw. Increasing the line pressure reduces slippage, if there's still clutch material to bear on. If you need more info let me know.

Chris
Old 01-29-2006, 09:28 AM

Smile Re: slipping

Thanks chris ... where would that screw be located if that becomes the next thing to try before I track down a reputable trany guy .
Thanks
Greg
Old 01-30-2006, 06:03 AM

Smile It did it again today ...

Hi Guys , the trans did it again today ... this is the second day in a row ... when it's ice cold once you get into over 3rd or overdriver the rpms will bounce from 1600 up to 2000 then back down ... after it warms up its fine .
I adjusted the band yesterday and it seemed fine .
With the cold weather I would plug the truck in on the cold these past 2 days I have not been pluging it in .
What trans is better sun coast or ats ...?...LOL
Thanks
Greg
Old 01-30-2006, 05:07 PM

I am having the exact same problem with my 94 is there any other options besides buying a new tranny?
I havnt adjusted the band yet but i am going to try.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:27 PM

Sounds more like an electrical issue. since the RPM's jump from 1600-2000. Try it locked out of O/D, and see if still does the same thing, jump in RPM's.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The symptoms sound like the torque converter locking and unlocking. There could simply be a bad connection at the tranny for the lock/un-lock function. Since the tranny was recently built, maybe the wire harness got pinched during install or something along those lines.
greg
Old 01-30-2006, 08:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I could have sworn I posted back about the location of the pressure screw. I remember typing it out. I must not have hit Post and got distracted with something else.
The screw is almost directly below the shifter shaft, and looks like a screw that has a big flat washer at the head, but is not screwed in but half way. The head is just hangin out there all by itself. You'll need to partially drop the VB to access the hex head, unless you modify a 3/16 allen wrench for the job. Turning counter-clockwise increases the pressure. You don't want to go more than 3.5 turns with a stock tranny before you risk blowing the stock seals inside it.
Considering your later post, I am in agreement with the others, that you may just have an electrical problem. Contact DTT and describe it to them. They will tell youo what's wrong and how to fix it. You might just need a noise filter.

Chris
Chris
Old 01-31-2006, 05:52 AM

Smile Re: slipping

I would also agree with the electric problem my self , but it only dose it when the truck is sitting over night after , after that the rest of the day the trany shifts fine .
So thats telling me after warming up its building more pressure ... after is completely warmed up I stand into the truck and no slipping ...
I may drop the trany pan and talk a look at that pressure screw.
Thanks guys

Greg
Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 PM

Electrical problems make it act the way you describe. Pressure wouldn't make it pop in and out of lockup. Real low oil level may, but the symptoms you describe indicate electrical. In addition, you have more pressure when everything is cold, vs when they warm up.

Did you try the test I mentioned out of O/D? Did it do the same thing?

Hook up your VM to the TPS wire at the PCM, and see what it does. If if fluctuates at all, clean all of your battery terminals and grounds to start. You may want to put a noise filter on it, anyhow, but until you know the source of the issue, you won't know where to troubleshoot.

Keep us posted.