12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Trans won't engage

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trans won't engage

I've seen many threads stating that their trans won't shift out of 1st, but can't seem to find anything on this issue. The truck will not engage in drive or reverse. When it began, it would rev high then clunk into gear. I would stop at the first stop sign and this would happen daily. After the first stop, it would run fine. Eventually, it would not go anywhere, just high rev. Last time I moved it, I had to go WOT to get it to creep into the driveway. I had the same thing happen at 50k and now again at 100k. First time I had the trans replaced. I'm hoping for an easier fix this time around. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:54 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Fluid level, color and smell????
Old 01-16-2019, 07:09 PM

I drained it to put on a deep trans pan. Fluid was to level, no smell, color was good and nothing on the magnate or in the bottom of the pan. No metal, plastic or clutch material. New fluid and filter reinstalled.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:35 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
What happens if you let the truck idle in neutral for about 5 minutes and then try to shift it into drive or reverse?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 PM

Nothing. I would have to go near WOT and sometimes it would hard engage, others it would barely creep along. I'm hoping its a pressure problem but I don't want to blindly throw parts at it. I did notice if it was on an incline it had a much more difficult time going, once it was level it took less throttle to start to move.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:40 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Now you will need some pressure gauges and the factory service manual.

Basically it sounds to me like your trans pump gets no fluid- either fluid level too low (checked in park instead of neutral with the engine running) or a plugged filter, maybe also something allowing air into the suction part of the trans pump.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Norcalram
I drained it to put on a deep trans pan. Fluid was to level, no smell, color was good and nothing on the magnate or in the bottom of the pan. No metal, plastic or clutch material. New fluid and filter reinstalled.
When you put in the deep pan, did you make sure you removed the old filter seal and installed a new one? Did the deep pan come with a filter extension? Were you having problems before installing the deep pan?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:35 PM

I just recently installed the deep pan so i would have the drain plug. I figured I would be removing it several times to fix this. I did replace the filter at that time, but it did not come with the extension. ( I just realized that the other day and have been trying to locate one) This problem happened with the stock tranny and the shop just replaced it with a rebuilt. I don't want to keep replacing them every 50k so this time i'd like to narrow down the issue. When it began, I would leave my driveway and it would be ok to the corner. after stopping there, it wouldnt want to go without giving extra throttle. from then on it would be ok throughout the day. Next day, same thing. I quit driving it for a while and when I went to move it last time, it didn't want to go at all without giving it lots of pedal.