Trans Cooler Lines & Clamps - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Notices
12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Trans Cooler Lines & Clamps

Old 03-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Trans Cooler Lines & Clamps

Several years ago my trans coolant line sprung a leak and instead of just patching the leak I pulled all the steel lines out and replaced them with high-temp, specialty rubber lines. Trouble is twice now the coolant line coming out of the trans has pulled off it's nipple while I was driving and I've lost all the fluid. It seems the hose clamps I've been using won't hold for long. I double-clamped that line too. I'm not sure whether to try new clamps or put new lines on. Does anyone sell any specialty hose clamps?
Old 03-01-2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Rausch View Post
Several years ago my trans coolant line sprung a leak and instead of just patching the leak I pulled all the steel lines out and replaced them with high-temp, specialty rubber lines. Trouble is twice now the coolant line coming out of the trans has pulled off it's nipple while I was driving and I've lost all the fluid. It seems the hose clamps I've been using won't hold for long. I double-clamped that line too. I'm not sure whether to try new clamps or put new lines on. Does anyone sell any specialty hose clamps?
just replace the hose fittings with "push-loc" fittings. then push your hose on the new fittings. you do not need hose clamps with push-loc fittings. you cannot pull the hose off ! you have to cut the hose to get it off a push-loc fitting. I`ve been using push-loc fittings and hose, on many remote engine oil filters and transmission cooler hose set ups without clamps for 40 years and NEVER had a hose come off. get the fittings from your local hydraulic shop. or Summit or Jeg`s.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:26 PM

Here's what happened. I put the rubber lines on about 6 years ago. A year ago the out-to-cooler line came off and I refilled the trans and put that line back on and added a 2nd hose clamp, and I went around and doubled all the hose clamps. Last month I changed the fluid and snugged up all the hose clamps again... or so I thought. This time the in-from-cooler line came off and I am embarrassed to say I was able to push it right back on--evidently last month when I snugged all the hose clamps I forgot about that one.

I wasn't able to find push-lok fittings locally. I'll keep trying tho. They look like the permanent solution for my problem.