12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Need experienced help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need experienced help

Hi first off thanks for adding me. I just got a 1997 2500 with the 6bt. It was a work truck it has 300 thousand miles on it. Here is my issue. Its burning oil a lot of it. About a quart every 300 miles. It blows blue smoke basically the entire time it is running. The truck starts right up runs great sounds great. One thing I noticed is I don't hear the turbo at all. My brother has a 1998 1/2 3500 same engine and its turbo is obvious. Its pretty loud and also the 3500 has more power behind it. It has a lot more get up and go to it. The 2500 is dogish. I seen on here that a bad turbo could be a culprit in the oil consumption so I pulled off the intake to the turbo and tried to wiggle center nut on the turbo and it has got a pretty good amount of wobble to it its sloppy. But no back and forth movement. I checked the turbo on the 3500. Did the same thing and it has no wobble or play what so ever. I'm pretty sure the turbo is bad. But other than turbo or bad piston rings what does should I check. Thanks for any information. Its greatly appreciated
Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fisherjones
Hi first off thanks for adding me. I just got a 1997 2500 with the 6bt. It was a work truck it has 300 thousand miles on it. Here is my issue. Its burning oil a lot of it. About a quart every 300 miles. It blows blue smoke basically the entire time it is running. The truck starts right up runs great sounds great. One thing I noticed is I don't hear the turbo at all. My brother has a 1998 1/2 3500 same engine and its turbo is obvious. Its pretty loud and also the 3500 has more power behind it. It has a lot more get up and go to it. The 2500 is dogish. I seen on here that a bad turbo could be a culprit in the oil consumption so I pulled off the intake to the turbo and tried to wiggle center nut on the turbo and it has got a pretty good amount of wobble to it its sloppy. But no back and forth movement. I checked the turbo on the 3500. Did the same thing and it has no wobble or play what so ever. I'm pretty sure the turbo is bad. But other than turbo or bad piston rings what does should I check. Thanks for any information. Its greatly appreciated
If the turbo is leaking oil into the compressor housing that is a very bad sign, if you build boost and enough oil leaks past the compressor seal you could have a diesel run away.

Another note it could be bad piston rings.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. Other than replacing the turbo is there anything else I should clean or inspect.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Hearing the turbo on one and not the other doesn't necessarily mean much especially if the other truck you speek of has engine modifications done to it by someone. The play you feel in the turbo may be completely normal, if your not familar with what is exceptable play then you likely might be led to think its bad.

Their is one quick way to find out and that is to run a compression check on the engine. I am assuming you don't have a compression gauge but sounds like you should track one down and run a check on all 6 holes. This process is actually quite easy to do.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fisherjones
Thanks for the advice. Other than replacing the turbo is there anything else I should clean or inspect.
If after the turbo your oil issue persist then it's your piston rings, can't think of anything else, if your doing a piston ring change I would just buy an engine rebuild kit.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:13 AM

I definitely want to do a compression test on it just to make sure it isn't the rings. Because whatever is going on is obviously internal because of the blue smoke and it has no leaks anywhere. When I do the compression test and if I need to replace the rings at that point I will just get a complete rebuild kit. Where do I do the compression test at. Do u pull the injectors or what.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:16 PM

What psi should a good engine produce?
Old 03-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Pull the exhaust down pipe. It should be dry and sooty inside the turbine housing. If it is wet and oily your turbo is pushing oil out the exhaust. It's not always on the intake side.

Start the truck with the oil fill cap off and if you don't know what excessive blow by is take a video. Or watch some youtube videos on excessive blow by. Worn rings will often cause high crankcase pressure.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:16 PM

Also check the crankcase vent on the drivers side. If it is plugged (bugs nest maybe) it will cause oil to be driven out of many orifices.