Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   towed in .... (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/towed-34852/)

Cumminstd1996 11-25-2003 05:39 AM

towed in ....

96' CTD. This truck never has given any trouble. Got in the truck yesterday - engine fired off immediately as always - then immediately died. That's all it would do - start and die. The fuel pedal had a different feel to it also - like it was sticking - not smooth at all. There are 2 trottle cables going to the injector pump control linkage - the shielded cable ( bottom cable ) was working the linkage when the pedal was depressed. The bare unshielded cable ( top cable ) would not move - it would slide free when the pedal was depressed. I had it towed in - we'll see today I guess. Any ideas. Like I said never a hint of trouble before yesterday. Hope it's not the pump - sounds like a sudden mechanical failure to me. If it were the pump looks like there would have been some sort of malfunction before it layed down on me. Any ideas what the problem is - need some advice ( ammo ) just in case the shop trys to put the screws to me.. Thanks.

Smokee 11-25-2003 07:34 AM

Re:towed in ....

There is a throttle cable recall. Sometimes the cable will stretch, and although things move, they do not move far enough.
Also, there a couple of ball and swivel connectors that can go bad.

MnTom 11-25-2003 08:18 AM

I doubt that it is the throttle cable. I am leaning more towards an electrical problem. It could be anything from a starter problem to a solenoid on the firewall to a fuse in the power distribution box (fuse #2) to even the shutdown solenoid itself (but not likely).
Tom

Cumminstd1996 11-25-2003 08:24 AM

I appreciate the responds. Do you think it could be a starter problem even though the starter will turn the engine as always - it does start the engine everytime - it just won't stay running. I didn't think to check any fuses but the electrical issue could be the problem. Please keep the ideas coming we'll see who's right.. You guys are the experts I'm just trying to learn.

MnTom 11-25-2003 10:23 AM

::) ::) EXPERTS??? [laugh] [laugh]

Cumminstd1996 11-25-2003 11:35 AM

Problem is the fuel shut off solenoid and relay. Approx. $500 part and labor. Thanks for the input.

Palmetto_kid 11-25-2003 12:36 PM

do it yourself allot cheaper.

fostertruck.com

MnTom 11-25-2003 01:01 PM

Fuel shutdown solenoid AND relay???? I would question the diagnosis. The solenoid is rarely the problem. The relay was the first thing suspect. Of course it is easy for me to sit here and tell you what to do and since I am not there................... you need to decide for yourself. I just hate to see anyone get the shaft when a service tech just throws parts at it untill they fix it.
Tom

kandgo 11-25-2003 07:23 PM

Palmetto is steering you in the right direction! You can also clean the solenoid somtimes if it is not all rusted.,as for the relay under 20 bucks I would not tear one apart for that,but it has been done and it worked for a while,If both parts are bad your looking at under 250$ to your door.Goodluck Rick

earl78621 11-26-2003 11:47 AM

had a similar problem I found the little blue wire to the battery was corroded I had to manually pop the hood with the key on and lift the soleniod up. To get the truck to run Also you should check the engine fuse in the fuse panel inside the truck.