12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Time for Brakes.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Time for Brakes.

So I've got 367,xxx miles on my '95, 2500 2WD. I've had it since 56,xxx miles. In 2012 I put a 2001.5 disc brake rear end under it... BEST THING I EVER DID! Now the rear brakes actually help stop the truck! Amazin'. So today I put on a set of rear pads. I don't remember how good the pads were I put on in 2012 when I replaced the rear-end, but I got them at NAPA. So I've known for awhile that I needed new pads on the back, and today I parked her in the driveway and replaced them.

Here's what they looked like when I pulled them. One pad on each side was worn down to the thickness of a playing card. Man alive I pulled them in time!

Replaced them with Hawk Ferro-Carbon pads:

Had to break them in for a few miles. But they work great.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:17 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Robert

FWIW,

When you allow brake pads to wear that low, you're transferring much more heat to the caliper each time you hit the brakes. This, in turn, heats up the seals in the caliper, and the fluid inside, not to mention brake bearings and seals.

Can the calipers and fluid survive this ? Yes.

The issue becomes the longevity of the caliper, fluid and parts associated. More heat = faster deterioration.

Personally, I change all my vehicles brake pads at 1/2 worn out. I also purge the fluid in the caliper each time I do brakes, by opening the bleeder into a vertical tube, which allows me to collect and inspect the discolored fluid. I then vacuum, or manual bleed the calipers / system till the fluid comes out clean. This prevents heated / bad brake fluid from being forced back up and into the system.

I've found that I replace calipers much less often by doing this procedure.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:38 AM

That's good to know and it makes sense. I'm not hard on my brakes tho. I do flush out my brake fluid every year.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
......When you allow brake pads to wear that low, you're transferring much more heat to the caliper each time you hit the brakes. This, in turn, heats up the seals in the caliper, and the fluid inside, not to mention brake bearings and seals.

Can the calipers and fluid survive this ? Yes.

The issue becomes the longevity of the caliper, fluid and parts associated. More heat = faster deterioration..........
I took a look at my Owners Manual. In the back I keep track of every single thing I've done to this truck, from oil changes and greasing it to new brake pads, to getting my ATS trans, etc. etc. Anyway, I have never put new front calipers on this truck. 368,000 miles on the original Dodge calipers. I've run through lots of sets of brake pads, but not calipers. Nor have I ever replaced the rotors. All original.