Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   TCC starts locked - stays locked (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/tcc-starts-locked-stays-locked-307720/)

fortunate1 11-05-2012 08:00 PM

TCC starts locked - stays locked

Any ideas what would cause TCC to lock up all the time. This literally happened overnight. One day the truck shifted just fine. The next time I drove it the TCC started to lock up and would not unlock - no matter what gear or speed. Fortunately, I did make it home in one piece. But now the engine will stall immediately once I shift into R or D. Total no-go.
I checked all of the ground wires that I could find. I did install a mystery switch a LONG time ago; it has always functioned correctly. Just want to see if there might be a ground/wire that I've missed OR if maybe a solenoid in the VB is stuck...
Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas!

patdaly 11-06-2012 07:42 AM

Pull the TCC/OD connector at the trans and see if it still does it. They operate by bringing in the solenoid to ground instead of adding the 12V. If you have a wire touching ( not the 12V feed ) it will act as if it is applied.

fortunate1 11-09-2012 05:49 PM

Thanks for the idea...
Pulled what I thought was the TCC/OD connector (the other was for ATF temp), but still stalled when I shifted into D or R. I need to find my shop manual - in a box somewhere after my move.

patdaly 11-10-2012 07:51 PM

95 is a 3 wire connector. I don't have a 95 shop manual or I would tell you wire colors. If that was it, then perhaps solenoid valve is stuck open.

gerdlespring 06-02-2013 04:14 PM

did you get this fixed? mine just started doing the same thing! I unplugged the tcc/od and no change. the engine surges and tries to die when I put it in R or D. I have the service manual but I can't find a test for the solenoid! any help would be greatly appreciated!! I did finally add a drain plug to the trans pan so I guess some good came from this:D

patdaly 06-03-2013 08:31 AM

Andy, test is done running using a DRB to toggle on and off, not sure if any aftermarket scanners support it or not. When I lost my TC LU, Dave Goerend had me grasp the trans cooler rubber lines and feel for it pulsing while my buddy toggled it with the DRB.

You could do a similar thing by getting a trans connector, and hooking it up to 12V and a manual switch on the ground.

Lot more hassle, but cheaper than a 3K DRB.

mtdoragary 06-03-2013 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by fortunate1 (Post 3144180)
Any ideas what would cause TCC to lock up all the time. This literally happened overnight. One day the truck shifted just fine. The next time I drove it the TCC started to lock up and would not unlock - no matter what gear or speed. Fortunately, I did make it home in one piece. But now the engine will stall immediately once I shift into R or D. Total no-go.
I checked all of the ground wires that I could find. I did install a mystery switch a LONG time ago; it has always functioned correctly. Just want to see if there might be a ground/wire that I've missed OR if maybe a solenoid in the VB is stuck...
Thanks in advance for any helpful ideas!

My 93 with a non-lockup TC exhibited the same symptoms for a few days. Don't know WHAT the cause was, but the tranny went out about six months later. I SHOULD have changed the tranny fluid and filter when the problem first surfaced. Might have saved myself two grand!

gerdlespring 06-03-2013 10:29 PM

thanks for the info!! I pulled the solenoids off and put voltage on them one at a time. I don't here a click or anything. I do have 30 ohms on the coil so I know they're not open.

Unless something changes I plan to pull the valve body and clean and inspect all the valves and springs. hopefully I find something.

unioncreek 06-11-2013 08:54 PM

Are you sure your TC isn't shot. That's the way mine acted and it did it overnight. Try backing a trailer up with the TC always locked up, real fun.