12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

tappet gasket replacement questions

Old 12-01-2016, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tappet gasket replacement questions

Guys I have done alot of searching and cant really find a definitive answer so I am asking this question.

my tappet gasket is leaking like a SIV. Wife is over the oil spots in the driveway as am I.

I am reading up on it and it really looks like the easiest way for me to do this is to pull the injector pump. Which is ok with me because I need to pull the timing cover so i can do the KDP fix anyways.

heres the question.
In my last CTD which was a VE pump motor I could lock the pump in place with a bolt yank out the pump and put it all back together with out re timing or anything it was just an R/R to replace gaskets.

I don't see where there is the equivalent bolt that will lock my pump in place so i can pull it out to replace gaskets.

Trying to avoid the hassle of messing with engine timing just to change a gasket.

thanks for the help.
Old 12-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by sanddragon2004
Guys I have done alot of searching and cant really find a definitive answer so I am asking this question.

my tappet gasket is leaking like a SIV. Wife is over the oil spots in the driveway as am I.

I am reading up on it and it really looks like the easiest way for me to do this is to pull the injector pump. Which is ok with me because I need to pull the timing cover so i can do the KDP fix anyways.

heres the question.
In my last CTD which was a VE pump motor I could lock the pump in place with a bolt yank out the pump and put it all back together with out re timing or anything it was just an R/R to replace gaskets.

I don't see where there is the equivalent bolt that will lock my pump in place so i can pull it out to replace gaskets.

Trying to avoid the hassle of messing with engine timing just to change a gasket.

thanks for the help.
Different style, you can only lock it in time and you have to remember to pull the plug. I am sure you know were the engine timing plug is, right? Engage it first and take the pump access cover off and see if your pump is timed.

tappet gasket replacement questions-p7100-timing-1.jpg

tappet gasket replacement questions-p7100-timing-2.jpg
Old 12-08-2016, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so looking at this it looks like you need to bring the engine up to TDC and align this pin and you can lock the pump in place here? then remove the pump?

ill be pulling the front cover off as well to do the KDP. dont want to change anything other then gaskets.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:31 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Pump does not lock at all, once it's out you could turn it by hand. BUT it is much easier to make sure that the engine is at #1 TDC by lining up both timing pins. The pump spins at 1/2 rpms of engine so you could easily assemble everything 180 degrees out of time if you pull it apart blind. No keyed shafts or alined gears or anything.

If you are going to be have the cover off it will be easier to make sure the pump shaft and gear mating surface are completely clean of oil on assembly. Also torque to lower number (25-35) ft-lbs before final torque.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Thanks gorms, yea, the pump doesn't "lock" as in can't turn physical sense.

Lots of people shear off the "lock".