Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Stripped Timing Cap P7100 (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/stripped-timing-cap-p7100-332114/)

Zekerbox 06-16-2019 01:36 PM

Stripped Timing Cap P7100

I was working on my truck this past weekend. I was replacing my pushrod cover gasket. When I was reinstalling my pump and timing I was tightening the timing pin cap back down and used too much gorilla wrenching and felt a pop and now I can't get the cap tight. It gets tight and then it just pops loose. I filled my pump with oil and it just drains out of the cap. I ordered a new "cap" hoping that is the issues and I just broke the threads. I really don't want to take the pump back out as I've had the pump out and back in twice and I just want to get my truck back on the road. Does anyone know if and where I can get the "timing housing" portion that the cap threads into? It seems like the housing's top screw is some sort of security bolt that can't be removed. Some assistance would be appreciated! Thanks

AlpineRAM 06-17-2019 10:32 AM

Usually it's only the cap that gets damaged.

Even if you damaged the threads a bit you can easily fit your new cap with a bit of thread sealant and let it rest for some hours before filling with oil.

Zekerbox 06-17-2019 12:09 PM

Thanks, I ordered the new cap and copper gasket. I also contacted a local bosch repair center to see if they can source the part. My guess is that part is going to be expensive.

Zekerbox 06-17-2019 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM (Post 3361540)
Usually it's only the cap that gets damaged.

Even if you damaged the threads a bit you can easily fit your new cap with a bit of thread sealant and let it rest for some hours before filling with oil.

When you talk about thread sealant are you talking about like some teflon tape?

AlpineRAM 06-17-2019 12:51 PM

I was thinking of thread sealing compound by Loctite for example 243 or 5400

Zekerbox 06-17-2019 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM (Post 3361552)
I was thinking of thread sealing compound by Loctite for example 243 or 5400

Oh gotcha, I have some 243 I will put some on when I get the new cap and see if it will seat the washer ok. From what I can tell the part that is on the pump is steel and the cap is aluminum. If my assumption is correct you're correct that the cap is most likely stripped/broken. It still has threads on it but they just seem loose and pop out. My thought is that the threads should be deeper, but I have no good cap to reference.

AlpineRAM 06-17-2019 01:11 PM

Those caps do not require much torque to seal, actually overtorqueing them is the way to make them leak. The threads get deformed, and don't fit anymore.
Loctite 243 and just snug with the screwdriver handle and a socket. Let the compound work it's magic, the plug will not come out unless you use the ratchet to open it.

Zekerbox 06-17-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by AlpineRAM (Post 3361556)
Those caps do not require much torque to seal, actually overtorqueing them is the way to make them leak. The threads get deformed, and don't fit anymore.
Loctite 243 and just snug with the screwdriver handle and a socket. Let the compound work it's magic, the plug will not come out unless you use the ratchet to open it.

Yup, that makes sense. I haven't timed the pump since it was rebuilt 200k miles ago and it seemed to take a lot to get it off, so I assumed I had to gorilla it back on and was wrong. From what your saying it's more likely I was just breaking loose some thread lock from the rebuilder.

AlpineRAM 06-17-2019 01:23 PM

Either a thread locker or the corrosion forming between dissimilar metals..