12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Crazy Idle speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy Idle speed

Oldtimer here with a new account. I've got a '96 12 valve. Many years ago Idle speed mysteriously dropped, so I bumped up the adjustment and its held steady through many a mod. Lately I've been having trouble with people selling me water with my diesel I think. I've been running Power Service Clear Diesel, Howes, Lucas and the Silver bottle of Power Service (not all at the same time) along with several filter changes, just to try to dry out my tank and fuel system. Anywho after first running these I noticed a constant big increase in my idle rpm from 750 were it was running to lately 1100+! Dang it's hard to sit at a red light like that! Today I adjusted my idle back to ~750 in drive with air running again. I did notice once I wasn't running additives and the rpm dropped again. I really couldn't believe a cup or two of additives would cause the revs to go that high. So I thought maybe something cleaned out and gave me back the original rpm I lost. But it must just be the presence of the additives. I may just try to keep something in it a while since eveytime I try to run without it seems I run into fuel related problems. Dang never had this kind of fuel trouble in 22 years with it. Dang why did Cummins make that idle speed screw so hard to reach?