Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   squeak in fron only when in 4wd (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/squeak-fron-only-when-4wd-250941/)

dieselman2300 08-27-2009 07:48 PM

squeak in front only when in 4wd

What would cause a squeak in the front right axle when its only in 4wd? I though it was the t-case, but that has been changed from a dld to a dhd. The front and rear driveshafts are new, the fron u-joints have been changed and the hubs have been changed.
Its a squeak happens when going forward, it sounds like, squeak-squeak-squeak, if you get my drift.

The truck also has a posi-lok, and all the brakes are new, calipers, rotors and hawk pads.

patdaly 08-28-2009 08:06 AM

When you find out, let me know, mine has been doing it since I got it, figured it was a U joint. Mine comes and goes, and if you drive it for a while after taking it out of 4WD, it goes away.

Sorry I couldn't be helpful.

dieselman2300 08-28-2009 08:59 AM

I'm wondering if the front half shaft is bent slightly. It just started doing it. Last winter it was fine.

cumminsdriver635 08-28-2009 10:08 AM

Id have to put my money on a U-Joint. I had to replace my Axle Joint on the passenger side a few weeks ago because the U-Joint practically locked up on me and the truck always felt like it was in 4wd because the shaft didnt want to spin freely when you turned the wheel.

Eric

dieselman2300 08-28-2009 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635 (Post 2562986)
Id have to put my money on a U-Joint. I had to replace my Axle Joint on the passenger side a few weeks ago because the U-Joint practically locked up on me and the truck always felt like it was in 4wd because the shaft didnt want to spin freely when you turned the wheel.

Eric

Joints are new, and it only happens when in 4wd. The joints and shafts still spin in 2wd.

One other thing is that if I apply the brakes gently, the squeak stops until I let off the brake pedal.

cumminsdriver635 08-28-2009 11:37 AM

Just because they are pretty new doesent mean they cant be going out....

Its just your brakes squeaking if it stops when you hit the brakes. For some reason mine does it sometimes and when i hit the brakes it stops. Drives me crazy sometimes, but the brakes are new, so whats a person to do.

dieselman2300 08-29-2009 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635 (Post 2563055)
Just because they are pretty new doesent mean they cant be going out....

Its just your brakes squeaking if it stops when you hit the brakes. For some reason mine does it sometimes and when i hit the brakes it stops. Drives me crazy sometimes, but the brakes are new, so whats a person to do.

Pull my hair out and go crazy till I find the problem.[duhhh]

RPegram 08-29-2009 05:03 AM

Loose lug nuts or a cracked rim can also cause a squeak you are describing. A loose axle inside of the hub is also a possibililty. It would not hurt to go back and retighten everything that was taken loose to install axle u-joints.