12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Sorry if this has been asked before

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Sorry if this has been asked before

Guys

my stock valve cover gaskets are doing me no good whatsoever, I have bought two sets and just hand tighten them to be snug, and still i have oil leaks in the head, i keep tightening them and they eventually break..

Does anyone know or a place or have a part number where i can get some HEAVY DUTY THICK valve cover gaskets, WITH the little seals for the top screws as well?

Any and all help is appreciated..

Also curious.. use sealant or not? I probly wont, but im curious as to what others do..

Thanks!

Tx
Old 08-14-2005, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hay do'nt worry about old ? I would think that you must have some other problums becouse just snuging them without sealer is what is recomeded , so you can adjust valves, look closly at the sealing surfaces of both the seals for the bolts & covers then when its clean and dry run eng. for short peirods to see the exact spot that your fluids are coming from.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:48 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
OEM Cummins valve cover gaskets are the good ones.......Cummins or DC will be able to provide them for you. Is it typically the same cover(s) that are leaking? Perhaps a warped valve cover or two? Might be a good excuse to ge the replacement chrome covers?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by CTD NUT
OEM Cummins valve cover gaskets are the good ones.......Cummins or DC will be able to provide them for you. Is it typically the same cover(s) that are leaking? Perhaps a warped valve cover or two? Might be a good excuse to ge the replacement chrome covers?
CTD NUT

you are absolutely right.. its the same two that are problematic, and the same screws and all that are leaking, Ive gone thru two sets of factory gaskets, and no go, and my lil seals at the top are leakin oil... ugh... Chrome ones, i have never considered them, are they just for looks? or good for more power too... Just teasin buddy, but didnt BigBadDodge say they were good for 10HP or so each? How much do i need to spend? if im gonna get the chrome ones, i will also get the best gaskets and seals that money can buy as well, any further advise? Please share..

Thanks!!

Tx
Old 08-15-2005, 03:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm......yup, an extra 10 hp per chrome cover sounds about right! I can't think of anything else that could go wrong other than to maintain the proper torque spec for the cover so as to not overtighten them and cause more problems.....I can't remember the spec off the top of my head but I know it is light.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do'nt know if things have changed but some years ago I worked in a shop and we buildet a lot of hot rod ect. and found that crome covers on anything leaked a lot easyer unless you removed the crome from the sealing surface, but I guess you give up something for the poneys.