Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   someone put gas in my diesel (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/someone-put-gas-my-diesel-99459/)

roughstock 04-13-2006 08:24 AM

someone put gas in my diesel

I hope my truck will be ok. Last night, I cleaned up my truck, got ready for a big weekend of trucking and my buddy went to fill it up. He grabbed the green nozzle which is usually diesel (Right?) and started filling. At 15 gallons I asked him why he was filling it with gas. DUUUHH! So i took a 12v fuel pump that I had and pumped out almost all of the gas/diesel mixture, roughly 18gallons and then topped it off with 32 gallons of diesel. Luckilly I shut the truck off while we filled it, so straight gas didn't get to the engine.
Will I be ok?
What SHould I have done, besides fill it myself?
They should put drain plugs on diesel tanks for when this happens.
Dealership wanted $700 to drain/flush/fix the problem.
The truck is hauling a load of horses right now and no reported problems from driver.

redramnc 04-13-2006 08:40 AM

You should be good - although I would have added some pump lube to the tank to offset the effects the gas residue would have.

Sounds like you did a thorough enough job of getting rid of the problem and then diluting the little that remained. Might get a little pre-detonation but should not be a problem.

Next question - did ya smack a flat spot on the guy's head for doing that?

jrs_dodge_diesel 04-13-2006 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by roughstock
I hope my truck will be ok. Last night, I cleaned up my truck, got ready for a big weekend of trucking and my buddy went to fill it up. He grabbed the green nozzle which is usually diesel (Right?) and started filling. At 15 gallons I asked him why he was filling it with gas. DUUUHH! So i took a 12v fuel pump that I had and pumped out almost all of the gas/diesel mixture, roughly 18gallons and then topped it off with 32 gallons of diesel. Luckilly I shut the truck off while we filled it, so straight gas didn't get to the engine.
Will I be ok?
What SHould I have done, besides fill it myself?
They should put drain plugs on diesel tanks for when this happens.
Dealership wanted $700 to drain/flush/fix the problem.
The truck is hauling a load of horses right now and no reported problems from driver.

Yes, it should be fine. You did the right thing by pumping out the mix and refilling with fresh diesel. The P7100 is a very tough pump. The truck should be just fine.

The should put drains on the tanks but I think that would make it extremly easy for some people to steal fuel.

I want whatever the dealer ship is smoking. 700 bucks is way too much to do the same thing you already did, minus flushing it.

StrokeThis2500 04-13-2006 08:51 AM

man i wouldnt worry about it ive got a buddy that used to put about a gallon or 2 of gas in his chevrolet diesel and that thing ran its *** off now has over 300,000 miles and no problems

tankeryanker 04-13-2006 08:58 AM

Our co. has 8 stations & that happens every now & then. We keep a pump & a barrel in our service truck for such a mistake. WE fill the rig up & sometimes add some motor oil to the fillup.

roughstock 04-13-2006 09:47 AM

I did ad some powerserve.

I did ad some powerserve to the tank before I filled it with diesel. Thanks for all your help. Sounds like I'll be ok. I'll call my driver to see if he got there ok.
THANKS.

Baja 04-13-2006 10:52 AM

You should be OK. In the WVO world, there are a lot of guys who run a mixture of WVO and RUG, regular unleaded gas, sometimes up to 20%. I don't, but there are those who swear by it. By pumping out and replacing your gas with diesel, you will be fine.

infidel 04-13-2006 11:02 AM

I want whatever the dealer ship is smoking. 700 bucks is way too much to do the same thing you already did, minus flushing it.
That's because any shop that follows the law has to pay at least $15 a gallon to dispose of the contaminated fuel as it's considered hazardous waste. On a full 35 gallon tank that's $525 right there.

JKM 04-13-2006 12:03 PM

Any sort of fuel or oil we dump right into the waste oil furnace at work, it loves diesel fuel...

sewman 04-14-2006 08:53 PM

so how do those waste oil burners like gas?and approx how much oil do they burn in a day?
Bob

JKM 04-15-2006 06:37 AM

Ours burns alot of oil , but it has to (help) heat a 12 bay tractor trailer shop. And they like anything you can burn , the better it burns ,the better it heats.

Geico266 04-15-2006 06:44 AM

You'll be fine. Just add 1-2 gallons of the contaminated fuel to each fill up and use it up.

tenbrooks 04-15-2006 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geico266
You'll be fine. Just add 1-2 gallons of the contaminated fuel to each fill up and use it up.

WRONG [eyecrazy] [dummy] Too much gas, 15 gallons out of 18, maybe run it in a chainsaw mixed with 2-cycle oil

jaconst 04-16-2006 12:58 AM

use it as a fire starter :rolleyes: