12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Seeking advice

Old 03-10-2017, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking advice

Recently purchased my first Diesel, 95, 2500. Used it to haul wood and other product, it's a work truck first. All was good till I changed the thermostat and fixed the vacume line from the pump to booster. She started to shut off while driving. She would start right back up. The last episode she acted like she was running on 4or5 cylinders ( terrible miss ) until I got her home, and ya had to keep her throttled or she would die. After pulling in the driveway she shut off. I waited a few seconds and she fired back up and purred like a kitten. Co-workers said lift pump, so I replaced that and the fuel filter too. To no avail, she still shuts down, yesterday she was hard starting after shutting down. I wait a hour or two , she fired up and I ran her 25 miles home purring like a kitten. Question: fuel or vacume issue?? Where should I put a in line T to install a permanent fuel guage?? All answers will get replied, thank-you. Just want to make sure if the pump is bad it's diagnosed properly before purchasing a new pump, if they make new. Or possibly a suggestion for a reputable person to rebuild. Thks
Old 03-10-2017, 06:34 AM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
I am guessing the FSS is acting weird or losing power due to a loose wire.
Try tying up the plunger on the FSS with some wire and run the truck.
I install my fuel pressure guage right into the top of the fuel filter housing by replacing the outlet bolt for a pre made Schrader valve / bolt that Genos offers.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
As Oliver said, most likely a shut down solenoid issue. If it does not pull up all the way the truck can run rough. There is a protective rubber boot that deteriorates over time and can jam things up. I'd start by removing the solenoid and plunger, clean everything and apply some light oil on it, it will work fine without the boot or you can get a replacement. Double check the connecting arm the solenoid moves, if the pinch bolt is loose or the woodruff key is missing it won't work right.

Another option for fuel pressure gauge, drill and tap the feed banjo bolt to 1/8 MPT and thread a needle valve into it, then run your line of choice to your gauge.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank-you

I wish to thank you gentlemen for the advice and information. I will replace the FCC with a new one. Hope this cures it. As per the fuel guage , i will check Geno's for the banjo bolt. Thanks again
Old 03-10-2017, 02:12 PM

Received 2,374 Likes on 1,570 Posts
FSS, short for Fuel Shut of Solenoid.
Might not need replacement, it just might be gummed / rusted up and need to be lubed up and worked around a little.

If it does need a replacement Gens's Garage will have that too.