12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Propane diesel additives and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane diesel additives and suggestions

We're just gettn started in the diesel game and as we learn more we find out how much we don't know. I am looking for cold weather suggestions regarding propane additives and propane injection. Where I live it gets subzero in the winter time and though we keep em plugged in and we give the intake heater lots of time to do its gig the Ole twelve valve still doesn't like it. The air dog likes it even less. I get ice in my plastic fuel fittings and I've got to change my filters every morning. They don't sell winterized diesel in CA. And constant dime a dozen additives don't seem to be worth it. I can't seem to find any coherent info on the Ole iterweb about propane and DTR. Has never failed me. Please shoot some info my way. All suggestions and pointers appreciated. Thanks guys- Copp
Old 02-24-2017, 05:37 AM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
It's hard to help you as I don't understand from your post what the trouble is. Ice in your plastic fuel lines? Why do you have an air dog on a 12valve truck? If you have water in your fuel their isn't much you can do to the truck to help, you need to find a different source of fuel.

If you live in sub zero weather their has to be a winter mix somewhere. How do the state and local plow trucks operate if they have gelled fuel? Your not using a good additive if your not having luck below 20*F. If your new to diesels how has the DTR never failed you?
Old 02-24-2017, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
As Deere says, sounds like your truck has been hooptiized to the point that normal advice will only partially work.

First off, I am unaware of any part of California that would really require serious winterized diesel, but worst case scenario, a couple of gallons of Kerosene and you have your own winterized diesel. We also used to blend gasoline in, but I wouldn't unless you know what you are doing...........

My advice to you would be to take the fuel delivery system back to stock, make sure it is working correctly, and not look back.

It gets plenty cold here in norther Illinois and I don't even bother plugging in until 0 F or below, no issues...........
Old 02-24-2017, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well sir. The air dog provides a superior filtration and delivery system. The stock lift pump is prone to failure and the OEM replacement from Cummins or any other parts provider is no better. As for CA. Geography not only does my local get sub zero, but the western and eastern Sierras get much colder. Please, all I am asking is, is propane a cold weather solution? I might be beating the wrong track. There is no winterized diesel in central CA. The snow plows are state operated and the have a private fuel source not available to the public. Thankyou- Copp
Old 02-24-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 2,391 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Will propane help your cold weather problems? No. If you have ice in the fuel lines, and you need to change filters EVERY DAY [!] adding propane will be no help.

If you can not find winterized fuel, Pat explained how to make your own blend with a few gallons of Kero to a full tank of diesel fuel.

I would find out where the water in your fuel is coming from though first.

As far as the Air Dog being a more reliable fuel delivery system... Not a chance of that.
The Cummins 12V factory lift pump goes 300,000 miles / 20 plus years on most of the trucks I have seen / owned. The factory Cummins piston pumps are better than the earlier '89-'93 diaphragm pumps. My Air Dog system that I have on my 24V is junk and I have had to replace the electric pump in it 4 times in less than 90,000 miles.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
Well if you really have no source of winter diesel and you can't find an additive that works, your only other solution is to buy a gasoline truck. I would recommend a pre 1996 Ford with the inline 300 cubic inch gas engine. They will start in any weather as long as they can turn over if not use a lighter engine oil.

If you think you need better filtration and supply pump on a 12 valve I would talk with guys that have ran them half a million miles on the factory issued parts, they can tell you why not to mess with it. I would be happy to help you with it but it seems you may have more experience than I do.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Thanks guys, I thought perhaps Aliens had abducted me and transported me to a land where 12 valves worked better with new fangled electronic thingys............