Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   P/S PUMP FOR SNOW PLOW (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/p-s-pump-snow-plow-19700/)

1ST CUMNZ 11-04-2002 08:43 AM

P/S PUMP FOR SNOW PLOW

HAS ANY ONE USED THERE P/S PUMP,TO OPERATE A SNOW<br>PLOW AT THE SAME TIME? OR HEARD OF SOME ONE DOING IT

Redleg 11-04-2002 07:14 PM

Re:P/S PUMP FOR SNOW PLOW

Would the plow stay in place when the wheels turned?

GRANT 11-04-2002 07:56 PM

Dodge themselves used to use p.s. pumps to power snow plows on SNOWFITERS back in the 60's and 70's. Don't know about the technicals, I'm sure someone here can fill you in.

timbob 11-04-2002 11:40 PM

Man if the power steering pump could just run a hydraulic winch out on the front bumper! Talk about sweet. Do yah think it has enough capacity?

redramnc 11-05-2002 03:19 PM

Milemarker sells a hydraulic winch. Pump setup uses an upgraded pump for more flow and pressure but I do not recall how they mount it (or if it is possible to run just one pump for both P/S and winch). <br><br>My 78 W200 setup has a separate pump for the plow. It is just a standard P/S pump but is dedicated to the plow (has its own belt and pulley) with a remote reservoir to hold about a gallon of fluid.<br><br>Electric/hydraulic is what most of the plows being sold today are using. With our dual batteries and 130A alternator the electric part ain't an issue.

Workin Man 11-05-2002 06:31 PM

Timbob<br><br>I remember seeing one, maybe 5 yrs ago that was supposed to run off the stock steering pump. Don't remember any details like line speed or max load. Haven't heard of them since, so I am guessing it didn't work so good. I have been wondering if a steering pump could put out enough pressure and GPM to run a cyllinder for a small dump trailer or a log splitter or such. Any one know where to find these specs on a steering pump? I'm thinking a PS pump off a highway tractor could do it.

Den052 11-07-2002 04:15 PM

Very easy to do. Just use a centered hydraulic control valve mounted between the ps pump and the ps gearbox. When the lever is centered the hydraulic fluid flows through the valve to the gearbox like its not there. When you move the lever, it directs the pressure to the snow plow ram. Up for Up, and down for down. Of course, the PS temporarly drops out while moving the lever. I used this setup for a one ton dump truck. Got tired of burning up the electric lift pump. Now the dump lifts like crazy. People told me a ps pump didnt have the pressure, but I knew they were wrong. I did have to eliminate the pop off pressure regulator valve though. The pressure regulator poped off too early when emptying 3 ton of sand. Other than that, it works super.<br>Can be easily adapted to run a plow.<br>Dennis<br>