Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   overflow valve spring (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/overflow-valve-spring-226139/)

kell 12-11-2008 12:55 PM

overflow valve spring

My '94 Ram runs bad when cold. Some posts that came up from a search indicate a weak overflow valve might have something to do with it.
I tried pulling on the spring but I fear stretching it too much.
Where can you get a spring like that? I'd rather not spend $55 on an overflow valve when I only need that dinky little spring. The valve also has tiny washers, apparently for adjusting the pressure.
The way the spring tapers makes me think it might be hard to find something generic.

Time for a trip to the junkyard?

cumminsdriver635 12-11-2008 01:12 PM

Get a spring from an ink pin that clicks in and out, cut it to length. Not too short, but not so long that you cant get it in there. Just make sure it is still long enough to apply pressure to the ball. And then take the spring and stick it inside the other spring that is already in there. This will add pressure. A lot of people have done it with good results.

infidel 12-11-2008 02:46 PM

I don't advise stretching the spring or using one from an ink pen unless you have a fuel pressure gauge.
Too much pressure can blow out internal injection pump seal$ and even crack the fuel filter open.
The mechanical 12 valve lift pump can put out in excess of 100 psi.
All you need is 17-25 at idle and 25-35 at 2000 rpm no load.

Stretching the spring or using one from another product won't last long.
Heat messes with the springiness and they become inconsistent.

You'll find the best price on an overflow valve here,
last time I bought one it was $42
Precision Diesel Injection and Turbo Inc.
Marty Tompkins
888-734-7349

I've heard they are available on eBay also

kell 12-11-2008 05:54 PM

Thanks for the info guys.

Tate 12-11-2008 06:43 PM

When I got my truck, I had 14psi of fuel pressure. I did the BIC pen spring (cut to the same length as the stock spring), now its at 40 psi.

cumminsdriver635 12-12-2008 02:42 PM

I would advise checking it with a gauge, but there is nothing wrong with the pen spring. It works perfectly fine, and really id say as long as you cut it to the length of the stock spring, you wont have problems.

atc250r 12-12-2008 06:53 PM

I bought an OFV from Precision and within 10,000 miles my fuel pressure was in the 10-12psi range at idle again. I replaced the lift pump, fuel lines, and pickup (went to a draw straw) but none of them made a bit of difference. I stretched the spring to get the pressure back but IMHO I should have to do that after such a short time. I would get a FP gauge and stretch the spring in the stocker before I bothered buying an aftermarket one again.

John

infidel 12-12-2008 08:02 PM

John, you mean to say the OF valve you bought from Marty wasn't a Bosch?
All of them I've bought from him were Bosch and looked exactly like the stocker.
I'm certain if you called Marty and told him the OF valve didn't last long he'd send you a new one for free.

atc250r 12-12-2008 10:11 PM

I honestly can't remember what brand it was. I had it for about a year and a half but didn't put a lot of miles on it. I definitely don't want to come off as bashing Marty at all, I never asked him to "help" because of how long I had it even though I hadn't put a lot of miles on it. I actually took a look through my receipts and found the one for the OFV and fuel pump I bought from them. It will be 2 years ago next month. The receipt doesn't have any specifics as far as brand so I don't know if it was a Bosch or not. After 20 months I wouldn't have thought to ask for a replacement nor would I have expected it.

I'll stop hi-jacking kell's thread now. :D

Sorry.

John

kell 12-13-2008 12:07 PM

No need to apologize, John. You're on topic.
I put a pen spring in this morning. My fingers were so cold the gasket fell out from under the banjo fitting twice! I was lucky finding it.
For the third attempt, I put some lithium grease on the gasket.

infidel 12-13-2008 01:49 PM

I was lucky finding it.
After losing a couple into the great void I finally learned to stuff a rag inbetween the block and pump.:)