Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   OD via Hobbs (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/od-via-hobbs-58858/)

got...DIESEL? 01-14-2005 09:48 PM

OD via Hobbs

okay, here's a new ideas of mine I thought I'd get some input from those smarter than me....

with 35's and 3.54's I get tired of toggling OD on and off all of the time. The TC controller automatically cancels OD at start-up, then I enable it at about 1600 rpm....60 mph in my case. The PITA is canceling it again below that speed as not to lug the engine, or low pressure the trans to death. If I were to let the PCM control it....45 mph is way too low.

So....why not take the control away from the PCM entirely, and eliminate the need to manually cancel OD all the time by installing a variable pressure Hobbs switch into the governor test port. This switch could be dialed in to just about any speed via gov pressure. The switch would pass a ground to the OD sol hook-up at the trans and the normally open contacts would be used.

In theory, as gov pressure hit the prescribed mark, OD would occur, then at any pressure below that, the contacts would open, canceling OD by removing the signal from the solenoid.

FYI, the same could be done to control TC lock-up if PCM parameters are not liked. Hell, a tee could be installed with two switches to control each one if you wanted....taking all computer control away from the trans.......if it of the RH variety of course, and not a RE.

Let the crits rip.......

Chris

northslope 01-14-2005 10:14 PM

[duhhh]

I thought that fancy ATS controller did that for ya[laugh]

got...DIESEL? 01-14-2005 10:25 PM

not OD....just TCC

northslope 01-14-2005 10:37 PM

gotcha.....I will bow out gracefully, scorned and forever scarred:D

got...DIESEL? 01-14-2005 10:53 PM

no need to get all[eyecrazy] ....LMAOROOTF

jimk 01-15-2005 09:14 AM

Re: OD via Hobbs

Originally posted by got...DIESEL?
okay, here's a new ideas of mine I thought I'd get some input from those smarter than me....

with 35's and 3.54's I get tired of toggling OD on and off all of the time. The TC controller automatically cancels OD at start-up, then I enable it at about 1600 rpm....60 mph in my case. The PITA is canceling it again below that speed as not to lug the engine, or low pressure the trans to death. If I were to let the PCM control it....45 mph is way too low.

So....why not take the control away from the PCM entirely, and eliminate the need to manually cancel OD all the time by installing a variable pressure Hobbs switch into the governor test port. This switch could be dialed in to just about any speed via gov pressure. The switch would pass a ground to the OD sol hook-up at the trans and the normally open contacts would be used.

In theory, as gov pressure hit the prescribed mark, OD would occur, then at any pressure below that, the contacts would open, canceling OD by removing the signal from the solenoid.

FYI, the same could be done to control TC lock-up if PCM parameters are not liked. Hell, a tee could be installed with two switches to control each one if you wanted....taking all computer control away from the trans.......if it of the RH variety of course, and not a RE.

Let the crits rip.......

Chris

Chris I think that there is a different PCM that can be reflashed for the 95 to gain some more miles pre-hour.( #R6028336124) Chris I am not sure about that # as it is all I could find on the matter, check to be sure before you act.
Also you can slot the TPS switch to gain voltage that is suppose to help, It did not on mine, but it may help on your truck. After reading some of my notes, I found that by loosing off the governor springs a click to lower the idle, I can raise the idle screw and increase the TPS switch voltage a little. I remember reading where a guy rewired with a relay to make the overdrive swith work in reverse order, the truck would start and shift as it should but would not go into lockup until the overdrive switch was pushed.
I also dont like the way the overdrive goes into lockup at 45, if you come up with a way to build a better way to by-pass this or build something that would be great. Have any idea on how to modify the valve body to go to lock up in the lowergears, 1 and 2 ? thank Jim