12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Nv4500 no 5th gear the nut is NOT the issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nv4500 no 5th gear the nut is NOT the issue

I need some guidance, I recently acquired a 96 ram 3500....the seller told me there was no 5th gear, I knew about the issues with the 5th gear nut so I dive in headfirst, pull the t-case, yank the tail housing off the transmission and!.....the nut and gear are right where they are supposed to be, nice and tight, no wobble.....5th moved freely and I was able to manipulate it from under the truck by hand without much force, so I called my friend over who is mechanically inclined and had him check it out and watch the gear as I shifted it in the cab, it worked, it engaged and diss engaged 5th just fine. The lady I bought it from appeared to spend most of her life influenced by controlled substances (the truck was her dad's who put a lot into it before he passed away, receipts were still in the glove box including the one for the transmission replacement in 2011) so me and my friend said what in the methamphetamine was she thinking, it's fine! I slapped one of those 5th gear nut retainer that slide over the splines in it and threw it back together, took it for a drive the next day after letting the gaskets and rtv settle and set.....No 5th gear....it shifts great 1 through 4, reverse is a little hard, I usually have to put it in 4th then throw it in reverse and it's fine, it did slide out of reverse once on me and if I push it up hard and right into 5th when I let the clutch out I can hear a very faint grinding of the gears that won't go away if I push the clutch in, only when I pull it out of 5th entirely. Also, once the shifter is hard into fifth gear, it can be rotated a little counter clock wise in about a 1" circular motion but only travels about 45 degrees or a quarter of a circle if that makes sense? The clutch seems to engage really low, almost to the floor board. I'm not a transmission guy so I need some advice, I'm stumped! Why would it shift fine with the engine off (we watched it shift when it was torn apart) but won't shift now that it's back together? Thanks I appreciate any input!
Old 04-18-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Not sure if this applies, but ill give it a whirl.

I own a 1994 Toyota pickup with a 5 speed manual. Bought new, and about 10 years in, I was driving, and found 3 rd and 5th were gone. Dropped truck off at trans place, they yanked it out disassembled the trans and found nothing wrong. While reassembling the shifter (top loader), it was realized that there is a,bushing which cradles the pivot of the shifter which was partially crushed. A $4.00 part later, and the trans shifter worked as new.

Since then. I've replaced the bushing twice, as the Toyota replacement is not as durable as it should be. Next time, I have an aftermarket poly bushing to replace,it with.

I'd investigate the shifter, and lastly the wear on the clutch.
Attached Thumbnails Nv4500 no 5th gear the nut is NOT the issue-0418181026-1.jpg  
Old 04-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Not sure if this applies, but ill give it a whirl.

I own a 1994 Toyota pickup with a 5 speed manual. Bought new, and about 10 years in, I was driving, and found 3 rd and 5th were gone. Dropped truck off at trans place, they yanked it out disassembled the trans and found nothing wrong. While reassembling the shifter (top loader), it was realized that there is a,bushing which cradles the pivot of the shifter which was partially crushed. A $4.00 part later, and the trans shifter worked as new.

Since then. I've replaced the bushing twice, as the Toyota replacement is not as durable as it should be. Next time, I have an aftermarket poly bushing to replace,it with.

I'd investigate the shifter, and lastly the wear on the clutch.
I did mess around with the shifter a little, seemed to be in place but it's definitely worth pulling the shifter boot and looking a little closer, they do use cheesy aluminum lock rings to hold those shifters in place and I've read before that guys have had issues but turned out to just be their shifter wasn't fully seated so I'll check it out.....be nice if it was a quick fix like that, but knowing my luck the whole truck will spontaneously burst into flames when I go out to take a look at the shifter....
Old 04-18-2018, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Likely the shift fork pads worn out.

Nv4500 no 5th gear the nut is NOT the issue-5th-gear-fork.jpg
Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Likely the shift fork pads worn out.

Attachment 76716
That would make a lot of sense!! If I pop the stick off think I could run a bore scope in there and see them? If it's something simple like that I can do it myself, if its a bigger issue I think I'll have it rebuilt, I'm just not set up for it at the moment....Thank you for your help!
Old 08-20-2018, 08:46 PM

Problem found

It's been a while, I've been busy....fishing, bbqs, important things! Any way, finally tore back into the truck and the problem was evident as soon as I pulled the tail housing off of the transmission, a retaining clip fell out of the tail housing and into my drain pan, it was the retaining clip for the 5th gear clutch cone and synchro on the counter shaft! After digging some more, the clutch cone had all of the teeth sheered off where it rides on the counter shaft and the retaining clip was a little beat up, the synchro ring was in surprisingly good condition with lots of friction material left on it! I assume the crazy lady I bought it from had a habit of dropping it into 5th hard and lugging it, the counter shaft is extremely tight and does not give when I apply pressure to it, the entire transmission moves actually and there is no visible or audible signs of free play. So far, I've found that a loose counter shaft can cause the retaining clip to fail, but that's not the case, so I'd assume it was aggressive, negligent driving? Has anyone done anything to "fix" or prevent the retaining clip from coming off? I've got a new clip, clutch cone and synchro ring on the way, but I'd rather not have to drop the transfer case again just to push a retaining clip back into the counter shaft, it's a lot of work for suck a simple issue! Thanks guys!