12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

New starter...won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New starter...won't start

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your input!

While picking up some stuff from a friend over the weekend I got stuck in the mud from our recent rains. In the middle of this drama the truck wouldn't restart, and funny enough, the power windows won't work though the power locks will. I got it pulled out & back home to discover two loose starter bolts and the starter wire stud snapped off. I replaced the starter, but get the same thing. Turn the key and get only a click The batteries test good so now I'm wondering if I have a bad ground somewhere.

98 Dodge Ram CTD 12v, auto, club cab
Old 10-22-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
Power windows only work with the key on (not accessory) - there is a workaround for that. You can run a jumper from the power-lock fuse.

Where did you get the starter from? It's possible it was already bad. If you have jumper cables and a remote starter switch, you could pull the starter out and power it directly with jumper cables off the battery. If it doesn't spin, or spins very slowly, you'll know the starter is still a problem. If you have a remote starter switch, you can also bypass the ignition switch and the wire to the starter stud that was ripped off - if you managed to tear that stud out of the starter, maybe that wire was damaged.

How were the batteries tested? I have heard about electronic testers passing batteries that failed load testing. Do you have a multimeter? What does battery voltage go to when you try to crank the engine?

Bad grounds are definitely a possibility. If you have a digital multimeter, do a voltage-drop test on all cables, starting with your grounds.
The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (10-22-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have definitely gotten a bad starter out of the box before...as Texasprd said..get the multimeter out and use that as your first point of attack.