12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

New to Diesel - Looking at a '94

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 05:33 PM
wdj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Diesel - Looking at a '94

Hey guys.. I've been interested in getting a diesel truck for a while now, and came across something that might be a reachable deal for me right now..

I currently drive an old 1989 F150 4x4 with a 302. I bought it 3 years ago from a friend who had pretty much rebuilt the entire drivetrain. It's a pretty reliable truck for getting me back & forth to work, but it's a bit of an eyesore, it only gets 12mpg, the A/C isn't that great, and I don't trust it to take me on any longer trips. While the drivetrain has about 40k on it, the rest of the truck has about 250 on it so my wife is always telling me that I should get me a nicer vehicle. I would LIKE to hold out for a late model GM with the D-max but it'll be at least a couple of years before I can afford that and I don't think my F150 will last me that long..

I came across a '94 2500 CTD 5spd. 4x4 Reg Cab LB with a sticker price of $6k. It's not a huge upgrade from my F150, but it is 5 years newer and it's a diesel. I haven't even gone by to look at the truck, so I don't know about mileage or condition.. For that price, I'm thinking that it's got some high mileage and/or is a little rough.. Before I spend the time to go to the lot, I wanted to post a few thoughts & questions and see what you guys thought..

1) A 1994 truck will have the 12v motor (which seems to be very well liked) right?

2) What kind of mileage can I expect (with no payload)?

3) Being a 3/4 ton with an empty bed, I'm concerned with it having a harsh ride. Are these fairly soft? (We rode in the back seat of a '03 F250 recently and it was pretty brutal..)

4) Honestly, I have no need whatsoever for a diesel motor. The only thing I ever tow is an 18' boat, and even that is only a 4 or 5 times a year. The only real reason that I want a diesel because of the reliability & efficiency. Am I being stupid?

5) In one post, someone mentioned that the 12v is very tunable.. Since I don't haul, I don't care too much about increasing power, but I would be interested in adjustments that would improve reliability & efficiency.. What could be done for this?

6) As far as how many miles are on the truck - how much is too much? I know that the engine & manual tranny will last forever, but what about other drivetrain parts like the transfer case, diffs, axles, & hubs? What about other systems like steering, brakes, cooling, etc? What about creature comforts like HVAC, power accessories & such?

Anyway, this is probably getting too long to hold anyone's attention, so I'll cut it off here. Here's a link to the truck I noticed.. It's the red 1994 on the left..

http://shortcutauto.com/WebbSite/Pag...inventoryS.htm

Sorry for my longwindedness and thanks for any help..
Old 06-30-2005, 11:29 PM

thats probably a fair deal. It probably has 250-500k miles....I wouldn t worry to much myself, but I have the abilty to do almost anything in my shop. It "should be reliable"

Mpg....if running decent 15-16 atleast.......tuned....and lucky 20-24 if your light on the pedal.

Figure 1000-2000 for mods to make a pretty fun truck.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:39 AM

You will wish you had done it sooner!!!!

My truck is a 94 4x4 with 3.55 gears and a auto it getts 18-19 in the summer. The cost and the economy won't compare to the factor.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:25 AM
wdj

I called the guy yesterday and it has 211k on it.. That's pretty high.. Of course he'll tell me they're all highway miles, but since he's just a dealer there's no way he could know that..

What about the non-drivetrain parts? That's kinda the issue with my current truck. The drivetrain is fine, but with 250k or so, the rest of the systems are worn.. I've got vacuum leaks, I had to replace a radiator, I had a bad fuel valve, my fuel guage doesn't work, the AC is weak, and on and on..

Oh, and in a few threads I browsed through, someone mentioned a place where you can post classifieds.. TDP or something like that? Got a link?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:33 AM

That mileage is really nothing for the motor anyways, as far as the rest of the truck is it all depends on how well the PO took care of it like anything. If it was well maintained it will be nice, if it was used and abused well...

In the picture it looks pretty nice!! and for $6000 thats a really good deal, as long as there is nothing major wrong with it.

Don't be afraid because of the mileage.

P.S. Once you get one of these you won't want a D-crap I mean D-max, haha
Old 07-01-2005, 10:55 AM

1) yes

2) 18 city / 21 hiway empty

3) Wear a kidney belt

4) No not at all. Same reason I bought mine. Of course now I have people coming out of the woodwork asking me to haul heavy stuff.

5) If you don't need to haul heavy and you want the truck to last forever don't mess with it. There are some minor things you can do. Read the posts.

6) How well was it treated?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
211 high?

LOL!! nope, it still has many a mile left in her, especially if it was well taken care of, i have driven a 12V with 300K (just yesterday, and while stock, still kinda peppy) but it wasnt what im used to, im not stock, but it drove really well and really smooth for havin that much mileage on the clock. As long as it was maintained and for 6000 dollars? id say jump on it.. It will get u fuel economy as good as ur old 302, im sure, and its fun to drive... Easy to bomb, and ADDICTING!!

Best of luck.. and welcome to DTR!!

Tx
Old 07-01-2005, 05:32 PM
wdj

Easy to bomb, and ADDICTING!!
What the heck is 'BOMBing'... Yes, I searched.. I see it used a bunch but no explanation..

Sorry for the dumb question..
Old 07-01-2005, 06:13 PM

Heheee.. Bombing.. is modifying the trucks... You won't go back to driving a gasser...
Check the normal stuff... Ball joints.. steering gear box, other steering items... other stuff isn't too bad about wearing out... 5th gear nut falling off...

The 94 has a little smaller injection pump on it... its only good up to 475HP (before it starts getting expense)
Old 07-03-2005, 05:37 PM

I have a 1994 4x4 std cab 5spd w/183,000 on it. went through 6 tracking arms, sway bar bushings, tie rod ends, clutch, 4x4 light switch, control arm bushings, power lock switch, stock radio quit, starter, batterise and brakes. Not too bad for that amount of mileage but I am also a very demanding driver with a heavy foot. Not a surprise since I am a farmer/rancher who hauls heavy loads through mud and snow with the tires chained up! I don't think that you have any concern of the high miles. I would check the 4x4, the wear on the gooseneck ball, torn seat, service records, batteries, starter, shutdown solenoid, and shocks to see how many hard miles it has because I am an expert on hard miles in a pickup on the colorado backroads and mountains.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:09 PM
wdj

Thanks for the help guys..

I went buy the dealership twice over the weekend but he was closed both times so I haven't been able to see what kind of shape this truck is in. Based on all of the positive comments here - as well as the good experience a coworker of mine has with a '98 12v CTD I'm going to give it some serious consideration..

Just some more thoughts..
Does this 5spd. have a granny 1st gear? (I hope it doesn't but would be suprised if it didn't..)

How big of tires can I put on this without a lift kit?

What's the best way to handle the death wobble?

My coworker has a really good mechanic, and I would probably pay him to do the KDP fix. What would you expect him to charge for this and what would be a good list of 'while you're at it' stuff to do?

I've read in a few things about letting your turbo bearings cool down.. One of the FAQ's lists how long to do so depending on your load & driving conditions.. I assume that you cool it down by just sitting at idle for that length of time?
Old 07-05-2005, 09:32 PM

wjd,

Good truck for the money, I would question the 4wd more than owning a diesel myself, seems many people have it and don't need it, spending about 3-4 mpg more than they need every tank they drive.

One word for you now: CARFAX. (www.carfax.com) Run one yourself, I have actually witnessed "doctored" pre-printed ones at a non-reputable dealer near me. If you have questions after you drive it, have a reputable DIESEL tech check it over. Be aware that things are more expensive on this truck than you will be used to - like 12 quart oil changes using Rotella 15w-40 oil and brake rotors that in this area cost $129 EACH only for the part. Is it worth it? For me, yes...but that's a decision you will have to make. For that low of a price you could literally drive it 100k more miles, keep it in great shape, and resell it for just about wha tyou put into it. Check out kbb.com, you want to be between the trade-in and private-party price if possible. Good luck and welcome to DTR!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:13 PM
Banned

nice truck

Clean truck for the mileage, especially a Texas truck. Does it have a goosneck hitch in it? Be wary if it does! . Look underneath for leaks around rear main seal,pinion seal excessive oil dripping off the blowby tube etc..My truck looks identical cept for mine has silver trim on the rocker panels and isn't a 4x4. 211,000 miles isn't TOO bad..usually those ARE highway miles and some ranch miles. Yes that trans has a granny 1st, and it's low! My 2 wheel drive with 3.55's in the rear end gets 22-23 mpg empty on the highway and about 18-20 mpg in town...towing about 15mpg.Just keep your eye out for leaks, and worn suspension parts..
Old 07-05-2005, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Texas trucks

get worked hard and put away wett, I admit i do the same, but i take care of it bein its my only set of wheels, Everything tire hauler says is true, i have the 3wd and i get 16-21, mainly 16-18 on the city, and 19-21 on the highway, first is low, and kidney rockin, i like it.. I dont use my 4x4 too often, well yes i do, but its not for long hard stretches, helps alot in the deer lease and in my ranch jobs... and due to a heavy front end, if u have it, ull be glad u do.., just keep up with it, its what i do, and it does what i ask of it.. Dont be afraid of the mileage either, i want another cummins eventually and even 300K dont scare me, ive driven one with 325K and it still drives well (stock)

Tx
Old 07-06-2005, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by wdj
Does this 5spd. have a granny 1st gear? (I hope it doesn't but would be suprised if it didn't..)
1st is great. Almost never start in 1st empty unless traffic is really slow. Then you can just let it idle along.

Quick Reply: New to Diesel - Looking at a '94