Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Need experienced help (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/need-experienced-help-329038/)

Fisherjones 10-05-2017 07:59 PM

Need experienced help

Hi first off thanks for adding me. I just got a 1997 2500 with the 6bt. It was a work truck it has 300 thousand miles on it. Here is my issue. Its burning oil a lot of it. About a quart every 300 miles. It blows blue smoke basically the entire time it is running. The truck starts right up runs great sounds great. One thing I noticed is I don't hear the turbo at all. My brother has a 1998 1/2 3500 same engine and its turbo is obvious. Its pretty loud and also the 3500 has more power behind it. It has a lot more get up and go to it. The 2500 is dogish. I seen on here that a bad turbo could be a culprit in the oil consumption so I pulled off the intake to the turbo and tried to wiggle center nut on the turbo and it has got a pretty good amount of wobble to it its sloppy. But no back and forth movement. I checked the turbo on the 3500. Did the same thing and it has no wobble or play what so ever. I'm pretty sure the turbo is bad. But other than turbo or bad piston rings what does should I check. Thanks for any information. Its greatly appreciated

cfm56 10-05-2017 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherjones (Post 3336281)
Hi first off thanks for adding me. I just got a 1997 2500 with the 6bt. It was a work truck it has 300 thousand miles on it. Here is my issue. Its burning oil a lot of it. About a quart every 300 miles. It blows blue smoke basically the entire time it is running. The truck starts right up runs great sounds great. One thing I noticed is I don't hear the turbo at all. My brother has a 1998 1/2 3500 same engine and its turbo is obvious. Its pretty loud and also the 3500 has more power behind it. It has a lot more get up and go to it. The 2500 is dogish. I seen on here that a bad turbo could be a culprit in the oil consumption so I pulled off the intake to the turbo and tried to wiggle center nut on the turbo and it has got a pretty good amount of wobble to it its sloppy. But no back and forth movement. I checked the turbo on the 3500. Did the same thing and it has no wobble or play what so ever. I'm pretty sure the turbo is bad. But other than turbo or bad piston rings what does should I check. Thanks for any information. Its greatly appreciated

If the turbo is leaking oil into the compressor housing that is a very bad sign, if you build boost and enough oil leaks past the compressor seal you could have a diesel run away.

Another note it could be bad piston rings.

Fisherjones 10-05-2017 08:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. Other than replacing the turbo is there anything else I should clean or inspect.

deere country 10-05-2017 09:39 PM

Hearing the turbo on one and not the other doesn't necessarily mean much especially if the other truck you speek of has engine modifications done to it by someone. The play you feel in the turbo may be completely normal, if your not familar with what is exceptable play then you likely might be led to think its bad.

Their is one quick way to find out and that is to run a compression check on the engine. I am assuming you don't have a compression gauge but sounds like you should track one down and run a check on all 6 holes. This process is actually quite easy to do.

cfm56 10-05-2017 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherjones (Post 3336284)
Thanks for the advice. Other than replacing the turbo is there anything else I should clean or inspect.

If after the turbo your oil issue persist then it's your piston rings, can't think of anything else, if your doing a piston ring change I would just buy an engine rebuild kit.

Fisherjones 10-06-2017 07:13 AM

I definitely want to do a compression test on it just to make sure it isn't the rings. Because whatever is going on is obviously internal because of the blue smoke and it has no leaks anywhere. When I do the compression test and if I need to replace the rings at that point I will just get a complete rebuild kit. Where do I do the compression test at. Do u pull the injectors or what.

willyC93 03-01-2018 07:16 PM

What psi should a good engine produce?

gorms 03-02-2018 01:47 PM

Pull the exhaust down pipe. It should be dry and sooty inside the turbine housing. If it is wet and oily your turbo is pushing oil out the exhaust. It's not always on the intake side.

Start the truck with the oil fill cap off and if you don't know what excessive blow by is take a video. Or watch some youtube videos on excessive blow by. Worn rings will often cause high crankcase pressure.

Ronco95 03-03-2018 04:16 PM

Also check the crankcase vent on the drivers side. If it is plugged (bugs nest maybe) it will cause oil to be driven out of many orifices.