12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

More 47RE automatic transmission LIMP MODE discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The electronic governer solenoid in the tranny could be the culprit, they have been known to "stick"
We already replaced all that ...so far we have done what I mentioned in the opening post and in addition we have verified a 5 volt source on orange wire B31, power at the relay ion the Power Distribution Center, TPS voltage is nominal and increases evenly with no scratchyness, batteries seem fine, no alarm or any other electrical funny business besides an simple aftermarket stereo.

That orange B31 wire DID have a splice in it like someone may have had a resistor in it at one time...I wonder if someone put a shift kit in this and someone else pulled the resistor later.....I guess i will try a 150 Ohm resistor...

The codes it is throwing are the Governer and Torque Converter codes.....

We are stumped.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:26 PM

"What we have done so far - new transmission electronics: the Torque Converter Solenoid, the Overdrive Solenoid, and the main body for the solenoid with the wiring harness on it."

Did you replace the governer, or just the OD solenoid and TC lock solenoid pack?

You could hook up a tranny psi gauge and check the Governor pressure to the 47re chart,
Old 12-12-2006, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of curiuosity does your cruise control work or did you do anything to the steering column? I had the same problem after I installed a switch for a set of fog lights in the steering column. No first gear and no O.D. I must of hit a plug on the wiring harness and it came undone under the bottom cover. Plugged it back together and the problem was gone.
The following users liked this post:
Cheezdog (05-25-2021)
Old 12-12-2006, 10:18 PM

No the cruise does not work...

The horn did but now it doesn't.

What wire did you hit?
Old 12-13-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my cruise doesnt work either.
im having a TC lockup issue.
I can only get the TC to lock up under full or very light throttle.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:31 AM

Problem Fixed

The issue has been resolved. We installed a new electronics package inside the transmission. That did not fix anything.

We tested all of the leads from the PCM to where they went both on the transmission connector and to the power distribution center. They were all fine.

We swapped relays in the PDC, but that didn't fix anything. Turns out the ones we swapped might have been bad....BUT it took a resistor in the B31 orange wire that I noticed HAD BEEN CUT before we got the truck and then splice back together. I'll bet someone put a shift kit in the truck before and a mechanic or a dealer pulled it out while diagnosing the problem before we got our hands on it.

It took that resistor to drop the pressure code off, and then the installation of a NEW relay to finish the repair. I don't think the relay would have worked alone without the resistor. I think that code would have kepth the system in limp mode no matter what else was done.

We have about 100 hours in this from start to finish...no transmission shop could find it, the dealer was oblivious, long term diesel mechanics and RAM owners were helpful, but stumped.

The truck operates perfectly now and kicks in to OD at about 45 MPH and pulls great. It takes off in 1st and runs through all gears like a champ.

After a big pain it is a very rewarding repair.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:47 PM

06 mega 2500 4x4 no o/d

I have replaced the 5.9 motor and transmission with a bullet proofed tranny and rebuilt t-case. I replaced the tranny after cracking the plate around the front seal . The guy the fixed it replaced all bad parts . After that no o/d . It's been to four tranny shops and the dealer the dealer says it has a ghost 😱. I have replaced the o/d shifter in the tranny and everything I have read on every form I can find. I don't know what to do next .
Old 10-17-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Derek Straily
I have replaced the 5.9 motor and transmission with a bullet proofed tranny and rebuilt t-case. I replaced the tranny after cracking the plate around the front seal . The guy the fixed it replaced all bad parts . After that no o/d . It's been to four tranny shops and the dealer the dealer says it has a ghost 😱. I have replaced the o/d shifter in the tranny and everything I have read on every form I can find. I don't know what to do next .
I'm not sure if you noticed, but you revived a 10 year old thread.

Here's some stuff to look at. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Chris Lentz (05-25-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:43 AM

i have a problem with my 1997 dodge ram 3500 4x4 47re trans 12 value diesel my alternator went bad last week an i got a new on now i have no OD an no or 2ed gear

help plzzz
Old 05-25-2018, 11:25 PM

Cool In point of fact...

First - I DO know this is a 10 year old thread, updated 2 years ago.
Let me start by saying that I am a shade tree mechanic and am CONSTANTLY on various forums when either fixing one of my vehicles or assisting a friend. Some forums are snarky, some (especially some Land Rover/Range Rover) are so condescending its insane, most are informative but one thing is guaranteed - everyone that is on a forum is there either because they need help or because they want to help. Another constant is the fact that people are inherently lazy. You can have stickies on a topic/known issue, step by step pictorial resolution videos narrated by the freaking engineer that created the problem to begin with and idiots will still blindly post, "I'm having problem "X" HELP Please!". In almost scenario where I see this, the post is followed by replies with comments like "Try the search function- Idiot", or words to that effect.

I stopped and joined this forum simply because "TorqueWinsRaces" clearly identified one of those folks. You know the one, that you only see when they need help, disappear once their issue is gone and can NEVER be bothered to post the one thing that actually fixed their problem and - perhaps the worst character flaw - REFUSE to help themselves but instead of sniping, simply informed said user of the age of the thread - then dropped a knowledge atom bomb on his *** with a direct link and invite to check out some cool stuff (Actual comment was "Here's some stuff to look at").

The reason for all of the rambling above is because I have used "Torque's" link - TWICE to fix problems for friends who asked me for help. And I wanted him to know that his time IS helping people.<-- And is STILL cool to look at.
There are people (OK Trolls) that simply peruse the forum and use your knowledge to help themselves and never say a word - and there are the others who seemingly want you to drive over and fix it for them - and give them a "tuggy" too for the privilege of their company.
So, In closing, Yes Torque, I know the post is literally 12 years old - and I want you to know, your post is STILL helping people. So "Thank you" @TorqueWinsRaces. Thank you for responding.Thanks for the knowledge bomb.

Ok - now back to your regularly scheduled program - and don't forget to delete your browser history!