Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Manual swap vibrations 91 Cummins (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/manual-swap-vibrations-91-cummins-331882/)

Jeff Drake 04-16-2019 08:14 PM

Manual swap vibrations 91 Cummins

I just finished converting my 91 automatic to a getrag 5 speed and I've noticed more vibration at idle its enough that the mirrors are vibrating it goes away as soon as I start driving wondering how much is normal and if i should be worried. i did replace the trans mounts so I'm thinking that's probably the difference other than that the truck runs and drives amazing!

oliver foster 04-17-2019 06:44 AM

The aftermarket Anchor transmission mounts are much harder and transmit much more vibration into the frame and cab.
I don't like them myself, and re-use old OEM ones that are still in decent shape.

The new mounts could likely be the source of you new vibe..

Welcome to DTR!

Jeff Drake 04-17-2019 10:12 AM

That makes sense i figured if it was something out of balance it would get worse at higher rpms. Thanks!

Fordzilla 04-17-2019 10:27 AM

Just to rule them out, you might also consider the harmonic balancer, and since a transmission swap was involved, the flywheel...[whistle]...Ben

Jeff Drake 04-17-2019 10:32 AM

If it was either of those wouldn't it be worse at higher rpms?

Mikeske 04-17-2019 01:49 PM

The straight six is inherently balanced but there are some vibrations induced by adding on accessories such as the alternator, A/C, hydraulic pump and the such. For a vibration at idle I would be looking closely at the engine mounts and the transmission mounts. A stiffer then stock mount can and does lend it self to having minor vibrations but will be fine and long lasting. With a manual transmission I have seen and felt more vibrations at idle then with a automatic as the automatic has the ability with the fluid coupling to absorb the vibrations a manual transmission is a direct connection. One thing to test is to SET THE PARKING BRAKE and then place your manual transmission in neutral at idle and see if the vibration is still present. If the vibration is still present it might be coming from the engines harmonic vibrations. I suspect it is a combination of the harmonic balancer and the stiffer mounts. I would not really worry about it unless it really bugs you.

Fordzilla 04-17-2019 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mikeske (Post 3359765)
SET THE PARKING BRAKE and then place your manual transmission in neutral at idle and see if the vibration is still present.

Using this method, and if possible having a helper to hold the foot brake down, you can also use a prybar from under the truck to take some of the weight off each mount and see if the vibration changes...:Lary:...Ben