12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Lost most of my boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost most of my boost

I have a 98 12v 5speed and recently installed an AFCspring kit. After putting everything back together I am now getting 15 lbs of boost at best. The truck has an Enterprise Engine plate 3k springs a BHAF and the timing is at 17,before the spring kit I could easily make 35-36 lbs of boost. The truck will get up to speed but only after driving at a really slow rate of acceleration. What have I done!!!! Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I went though the same thing with a '97 awhile back. Even with the lightest spring in the TST kit ajusted all the way loose the power and boost wasn't what it was before. Reinstalled the stock spring and all was fine after wasting most of the day.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:36 PM

where did you get your spring kit. what brand is it?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:55 AM

I purchased the kit from TST. I really am not sure what happened.I went by the instructions as close as I can remember. I think I may have missed something, somewhere just not sure where to look. I am going to check into it more today. Hope to track down the problem.Thanks for the replies guys. This is a great place to come for help.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:00 PM

Please keep us informed on this. I was thinking about getting this kit from TST. Does anyone have any success with this spring kit from TST?
Old 04-17-2005, 08:52 AM

Good news ! I completely redid everything I did on the install. The only thing that I did diffferently was,in the next to last paragraph of the instructions, I tightened the stud that is under the stamped steel cover all the way in not just to where it is just touching the diaphram shaft inside the AFC housing. I then tightened the 10mm nut and reinstalled the AFC housing. It runs great!!! Maybe I didn't understand the instrucions completely but the spring kit does give a good response in the lower end of the acceleration range. At least I have noticed a big difference in my truck.I now can make 35-38 lbs of boost in a hurry. I am completely happy with the kit from TST.
Thanks for the help and the interest in how things went. This is what makes this a great site.
Old 04-18-2005, 05:08 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have the AFC spring kit and it was night and day.. The low end response is nice and very controlable. With the stock 215 spring, I had a hard time adjusting the starwheel without drastic changes. Also now you get full plate engagement throughout the range without needing high boost to move the AFC full travel.

For the low cost, I like it.

J-eh
Old 04-18-2005, 07:34 PM

OK guys I have to tell the truth on myself. After putting everything back together and feeling the difference in my truck I was really happy with myself.Pride goes before the fall they say. While driving to work this morning upon reaching50 mph going on to the freeway my truck began to moan. I swear that is the closest thing to describe the sound . I knew this wasn't right so I pulled off at the next exit and looked under the hood. Don't forget to tightgen the clamp on the hose to the air horn. The boost you loose makes an awful sound as you try to accelerate.