12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

83 d350 crew cab drive train swap

Old 12-17-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
83 d350 crew cab drive train swap

Wanting to swap a 12V 5 spd into my 83 crew cab d350 dually. Truck currently has a 360 gas motor with 4spd. I have located a 1993 wrecked d350 2wd 5spd for cheap.

Here are are my questions. Is the 93 a good candidate for the swap? I know the non intercooled motors have less “computer” on them and I know to avoid the dreaded 91.5 PCM.

I am am not concerned so much with the mechanical swapping it is the wiring that concerns me. This truck is to be a daily so I want it to have functional Ac and heat, but I do not plan to “hot rod” it or bull a bull dozer with it every week.

Attached are are pics of my truck and the prospective donor
Old 12-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pmschmitt
Wanting to swap a 12V 5 spd into my 83 crew cab d350 dually. Truck currently has a 360 gas motor with 4spd. I have located a 1993 wrecked d350 2wd 5spd for cheap.

Here are are my questions. Is the 93 a good candidate for the swap? I know the non intercooled motors have less “computer” on them and I know to avoid the dreaded 91.5 PCM.

I am am not concerned so much with the mechanical swapping it is the wiring that concerns me. This truck is to be a daily so I want it to have functional Ac and heat, but I do not plan to “hot rod” it or bull a bull dozer with it every week.

Truck to receive 12V 5spd drive train
Donor
Donor- concerned about possible cracked bell housing but front looks fair
Old 12-17-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,569 Posts
The '93 will be a fine choice for a donor for that crew cab.
The '93 computer on that manual truck is basically just a glorified voltage regulator, with a few other functions on it, like cruise, wait to start feature for the grid heaters and such. You could build the truck with out the "computer" if you wanted and it would still run and shift fine.

If it was an auto truck the PCM would be more important as it would also control the O/D function.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Pmschmitt

Originally Posted by oliver foster
The '93 computer on that manual truck is basically just a glorified voltage regulator, with a few other functions on it, like cruise, wait to start feature for the grid heaters and such. You could build the truck with out the "computer" if you wanted and it would still run and shift fine.

If it was an auto truck the PCM would be more important as it would also control the O/D function.
thanks for the input I figured an entire truck would be better than peicing it together
Old 12-23-2017, 04:17 AM

Received 345 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster

I couldn't say it any better myself.

I'm stuffing '90 D250 (cummins) guts into a 2wd '84 ramcharger. Basically the same swap as OP is doing. I think the most difficult things (not even really difficult) are installing the clutch pedal stuff and drilling new holes for a trans crossmember.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 PM

Ok the totaled truck didn't pan out as it had been sitting for 4 years and the Pao had robbed the vaccine pump and some other parts off of the truck. I located another 93 with no title and a rusted out roof. Has perfect fenders a cowboy camper and a string running 11v won blow by for so I jumped on it cheap. It did not come with a trans. I located a getrag 5spd that needed a rebuild for $200 w a flywheel and a bellhousing.

I took it it to my tranny guy and he said it will run about $1100 for full rebuild. Does that sound about right to yall? It seems the bew in on the input shaft had burnt up so he is gonna have to do a total rebuild.

I know now the getrag has its flaws but this truck will be doing some mild/moderate towing so I figured it would work. Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2017, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Man, I hate to say it, but built correctly, and run a quart over full, I would almost rather have the Getrag.

Maybe my boys 89 has a super trans, but I prefer his stock Getrag to my NV4500........
Old 12-29-2017, 11:52 AM

The biggest problem I find people have with the Getrag is when know it alls fill it with 75/90W.
I talked to one guy who was bad mouthing the Getrag as he he'd just burned up his third Rag, and he now wanted to go to the NV-4500. After listening to his frothy mouth covered ramble, I calmly ask what fluid he had been running. His answer was "the correct 75-90W of course".
So you burned up THREE transmission before double checking what fluid it took I asked?
Some how I was the jerk...

The next problem is people not getting the pre load right.
If it gets a good rebuild, you over fill it with the proper fluid, it should be fine. I love the three trucks I drive with the Getrag.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the input. Good to know. I will keep y'all posted on the swap as the donor truck should arrive this weekend.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:23 PM

Anybody know the size and grade bolts for a93 cummins flywheel? Also the size bolts for the bell housing. Thx
Old 12-30-2017, 01:41 PM

I know ARP sells new flywheel bolts as I have seen them on a '95 Cummins I worked on.
The Getrag bell to transmission bolts come in two different sizes depending on the year of the bell. I hope that Getrag bell housing came with the clutch fork, as they are very hard to locate.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:49 PM

Got the bellhousing and clutch fork decreased tonight. Also just found out the donor truck I bought has a bellhousing flywheel and clutch fork so lucked out.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:57 PM

Sweet!
Old 12-30-2017, 07:59 PM

Donor truck arrived.

Donor truck arrived today. It ain’t pretty but not terrible for the price.
Dually fenders are perfect on this truck and has full replacement front and rear bumpers. Bumpers are kinda crappy built.
Good cab lights. Not so good cab
Good interior parts
Cowboy camper. I have a buddy that wants this one. Don’t have a clue what they are worth
Gas tank radiator and assorted “stuff”
Motor minus tranny. Truck came with another bellhousing and clutch fork!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:03 AM

Looks like you are all set up with the parts to make one awesome crew cab Cummins Dually!
The extra dually flairs, bell and clutch fork are a nice bonus.
Time for you to block of a little "me time" and get to work. I will be following along, if you have any questions.
I didn't see an fan shroud in the assorted stuff pile...did I miss it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 83 d350 crew cab drive train swap