Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   KDP done. (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/kdp-done-124943/)

onemoretruck 11-22-2006 09:46 AM

KDP done.

I have done the KDP and it seems there is no oil leaks that resulted.I ended up taking out the top radiator hose wich made it easyer taking out the fan out.The old gasket came off very easy leaving almost none debris stuck .

The dowel pin was sticking out by about 1/8 of an inch but the amount of resistance it offered to drive it in all way back inside the hole made me thinking that very possibly it was driven where it was originally....I used a smaller in diameter socket at the end of a short 2 inches extension and it needed a few good blows of a 5 pounds short hammer to drive it in..but who relly knows what happen in there with long time and heath combined to vibrations!Anyway I've used red locktite on the bolt threads and torqued it to 18 ft-pounds using a tab I've made.

I have thightened the other 5 bolts holding the timing case to the block.To do this I used the small torque wrench that was set at 18 ft-pounds and they all cracked loose way beyond this setting..now I don't know if it is normal for a bolt that is torqued at its right torque to loosen up at lesser pressure..this could be but they all came loose very easily and I am very satisfied of having retorqued all with locktite this time. The two behind the cam gear offer a strick minimum clearance when alligned with one of the three holes into the cam gear..I had to get the small 10 mm socket a little crooked onto the bolts heads to torque.

I have used a new gasket onto the cover (no RV or silicone mess!)...I used some permatex spray gasket compound to stick the gasket onto the cover itself taking care to align it good with the bolts holes.

Considering everything I would say taking out the fan was the toughest part...better to make all room around and I ended up putting gloves as the blades get "uncomfortable" after a while.

thanks,Ron.

TxDiesel007 11-22-2006 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by onemoretruck (Post 1219459)
I have done the KDP and it seems there is no oil leaks that resulted.I ended up taking out the top radiator hose wich made it easyer taking out the fan out.The old gasket came off very easy leaving almost none debris stuck .

The dowel pin was sticking out by about 1/8 of an inch but the amount of resistance it offered to drive it in all way back inside the hole made me thinking that very possibly it was driven where it was originally....I used a smaller in diameter socket at the end of a short 2 inches extension and it needed a few good blows of a 5 pounds short hammer to drive it in..but who relly knows what happen in there with long time and heath combined to vibrations!Anyway I've used red locktite on the bolt threads and torqued it to 18 ft-pounds using a tab I've made.

I have thightened the other 5 bolts holding the timing case to the block.To do this I used the small torque wrench that was set at 18 ft-pounds and they all cracked loose way beyond this setting..now I don't know if it is normal for a bolt that is torqued at its right torque to loosen up at lesser pressure..this could be but they all came loose very easily and I am very satisfied of having retorqued all with locktite this time. The two behind the cam gear offer a strick minimum clearance when alligned with one of the three holes into the cam gear..I had to get the small 10 mm socket a little crooked onto the bolts heads to torque.

I have used a new gasket onto the cover (no RV or silicone mess!)...I used some permatex spray gasket compound to stick the gasket onto the cover itself taking care to align it good with the bolts holes.

Considering everything I would say taking out the fan was the toughest part...better to make all room around and I ended up putting gloves as the blades get "uncomfortable" after a while.

thanks,Ron.

Congratulations!

Now you can sleep better at night knowing that the KDP is no longer a threat...

Rick

b.lee 11-22-2006 10:45 AM

I need to get mine apart asap.
I hope its already done when I get in there.....

TIMMY22 11-22-2006 01:11 PM

when I did mine I changed the belt and the tensioner. now I get that "chirp" when I shut it off like when it was new. also, I changed the top radiator hose.

TxDiesel007 11-22-2006 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by b.lee (Post 1219519)
I need to get mine apart asap.
I hope its already done when I get in there.....

Hate to say it

but the chances are usually slim, I do know of a 380K mile truck that is still running with the KDP as a potential threat.. not good i know...[dummy] Not many people know about this or even suspect it till the damage has already been done. Besides, better safe than sorry, and its a good way to retorque and Re RTV the timing cover and get everything right..

Rick

TravisDj 11-22-2006 11:40 PM

What is KDP?

01GOAT 11-23-2006 01:23 PM

i own 2 we replaced the front cover after it cracked around the vacume pump , fixed one kdp, need to check the other one now

b.lee 12-27-2006 04:44 PM

Anyone want to kill my dowel pin for me in MI?
I got some $$$

displacedtexan 12-27-2006 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by TravisDj (Post 1220343)
What is KDP?

Killer Dowell Pin. It is an allignment pin in the timing case that can back out and fall into the timing gears, destroying the timing case.

http://www.tstproducts.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=64

infidel 12-27-2006 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by TravisDj (Post 1220343)
What is KDP?

Not something that concerns you with an '06

displacedtexan 12-27-2006 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 1270151)
Not something that concerns you with an '06

His sig is a little confusing... The one he is picking up is a 97. And should have the KDP done ASAP.

txdodge97 12-27-2006 11:33 PM

My dads truck has 505,000 miles and hasnt been fixed but its also bone stock.

infidel 12-28-2006 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by txdodge97 (Post 1270558)
My dads truck has 505,000 miles and hasnt been fixed but its also bone stock.

It doesn't matter how many miles or mods, the pin can still come out.
Wise thing is to make sure it doesn't.

displacedtexan 12-28-2006 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by infidel (Post 1270954)
It doesn't matter how many miles or mods, the pin can still come out.
Wise thing is to make sure it doesn't.

Exactly, even though the odds are it won't come out, it is still an expensive gamble, that is easily avoided...

steersman1 02-26-2007 04:35 PM

I'm a newbie, and hope i do this right.

When i bought my '96 a few years ago at 187k, the salesman looked at something on a 'puter and told me that 'it had a new starter at 100-and-something thousand miles.'

Any idea what he was looking at? Might it tell me if the KDP has been done? Going back to the salesman is not an option. It'd bite doing all that work and finding the job completed.

Thanks

TIMMY22 02-26-2007 04:49 PM

I don't think the dealership would log a KDP job into the computer considering the fact that Cummins never wanted to admit there was trouble.

Box5 02-26-2007 06:27 PM

i'm about to do this fix, tst messed up the shipping though, so i gotta wait longer now with the truck just sitting. Kind of a bummer. I guess I need to go buy some feeler gauges, coolant, and oil before that kit gets here so i'm ready.

TIMMY22 02-26-2007 07:04 PM

you really don't need the feeler gauges. Although they are nice to have, you can just use a match book.

Scramblinman 02-26-2007 07:05 PM

Shouldn't need coolant or oil to do the KDP, either.

Box5 02-26-2007 07:45 PM

I'm planning on taking the washer fluid resovoir out, taking out the fan and shroud, removing the belt, removing the damper, removing the inspection thing since I have a auto, removing the speed sensor out of the way, then the cover, then do the KDP stuff inside, and i thought it's good to get some oil to lube the gears before u close it up?

Blast Chamber 02-27-2007 06:13 AM

You don't need to lube the gears as they get plenty of oil by design. I would recommend removing the radiator to give you extra access, and to prevent damaging it while wrenching. It's only two more bolts and it lifts right out. Plus, you can clean out the fins and inside with a garden hose. I couldn't believe the amount of dirt that was in my radiator fins.

Also, the engine barring tool is a good investment for rotating the engine to access the cover bolts behind the camshaft gear. These bolts were not very tight on my engine, so it paid to clean them up and loctite them.

Box5 02-27-2007 09:32 AM

can't you just turn the engine over with a braker bar? And have a friend hold it while while you get the bolts out?

Blast Chamber 02-27-2007 09:39 AM

You can't turn the engine with the alternator since the serpentine belt will be removed. I suppose you could put the crankshaft damper back on (after you get the gearcase cover off) and have someone crawl under the truck and turn the pulley by hand while you watch the camshaft gear. I was working alone, so for me the barring tool was the best $40 that I spent during this project.

Box5 02-27-2007 10:59 AM

I think i'm gonna have my nieghbor come up with some of his tools. Might be nice having a diesel mech on hand just in case, lol.

SoTexRattler 02-27-2007 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by steersman1 (Post 1378790)
I'm a newbie, and hope i do this right.

When i bought my '96 a few years ago at 187k, the salesman looked at something on a 'puter and told me that 'it had a new starter at 100-and-something thousand miles.'

Any idea what he was looking at? Might it tell me if the KDP has been done? Going back to the salesman is not an option. It'd bite doing all that work and finding the job completed.

Thanks

An emphatic "NO!" on the dealer's KDP fix knowledge.
He has a database of all dealer work done to your vehicle since new. They can pull it up and even see when it was in to replace the screws in your ashtray etc...[laugh]
The dealer will NOT tell you if the KDP was tabbed, as DC (and Cummins!)obviously turned a blind eye to the problem, deciding to deal with the issue only if they exploded under warranty!!!(basically they KNEW there was a problem but just hoped the warranties would expire before the other loose pins fell out on their nickel!:( )
It was obviously a serious enough problem that Cummins changed the accessory case design ~'98-'99 to positively capture the pin in a semi blind hole cast into the case!
When I bought mine used, I learned about the KDP (from the TDR site) before I picked it up and when I asked the service mgr for the printout of service work/recalls done to my '97, I pointedly asked if there had been any issues with Dowel Pins coming out of the gearcase of these 12valve engines...
blink blink... "We don't know anything about any dowel pin problem with these trucks"... blink blink[whistle]
I was shocked! I said, "You mean you've never heard about any dowel pins falling out of the block into the timing gears???" He replied: "No, I don't know anything about a dowel pin problem...."
Looking back, I remember seeing some shiny, in-warranty mid/late 90's trucks in the mechanic bays with the fronts off the engine and the camshafts pulled out ... (thinking back now, it sure looked like KDP damage repair to me!)

K.

dieselfuelonly 02-27-2007 11:55 AM

So how long will it take one (working by theirself) to fix everything using the tab method and the kit from TST? I just don't have the money to pay someone to do it... so it looks like I'll be doing it myself.

TIMMY22 02-27-2007 12:52 PM

lot's of variables...

If it's your first one and you are slow, I would give yourself 6 hours.

This way you can take your time. you can spend alot of time degreasing etc. When I did mine, I changed the power steering lines because they were right there and they were cheap and looked very rusty. I also changed the top radiator hose and the belt.

you probably could then do a second one in 3 hours.

SoTexRattler 02-27-2007 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly (Post 1380268)
So how long will it take one (working by theirself) to fix everything using the tab method and the kit from TST? I just don't have the money to pay someone to do it... so it looks like I'll be doing it myself.

I purchased the TST kit too... You can do it... It's easy.
I took about 4hrs to do it by myself, but this was in the summer sun[yuk] with frequent A/C breaks[coffee] . Also, I opted to try working the fan out w/o disconnecting any rad hoses. To me, the fan extraction part was the most difficult and time consuming aspect w/o removing the hose & coolant. This is a spot that another pair of hands could really help out.
With the fan gone, there is LOTS of room to work.
Once I had the cover off, I was taking some pix at each step. my KDP had not moved...)
Cover up the two openings to the sump that invite Murphy to drop hardware into...;)
I pulled the capscrew and degreased the hole and surrounding area. New capscrew, KDP tabwasher and loctite, the KDP job was done.. I spent more time admiring the heavy geared innards of the engine as I checked tightness of other capscrews in there before the new shaft seal and cover went back on.

K.

Greguw 02-27-2007 02:39 PM

The timing case bolts and the cam retainer bolts were allmost comming completely in two trucks I did...I took the one's behind the cam gear completely out and re-loctighted them put them back in .
Greg

dieselfuelonly 02-27-2007 06:01 PM

So how come people don't just take the KDP out completely? I've read about people having them falling out and doing absolutely nothing... will it cause problems later on? From what I recall it is some kind of alignment pin...

Blast Chamber 02-27-2007 08:29 PM

Leaving the KDP in place and tabbing it is better because it helps to support the gear case, which in turn supports the 50-pound P7100 injection pump.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I spent two days on this project, working slowly. Being this is a new truck for me I used this opportunity to check everything over. New thermostat, all new coolant hoses, new tensioner pulley & belt, cleaned out the radiator, fresh PS fluid, oil change, etc. My KDP hadn't budged, but some of the case bolts were definitely not tight. I made my own tab and purchased the gaskets & seals directly from a Cummins dealer.

Box5 02-28-2007 12:27 AM

So if u don't have a barring tool, is the best way to keep it from turning over to remove the inspection cover on the bellhousing and have someone hold the flexplate? And also have them turn it to get to those two thrust plate bolts? If you don't have a barring tool, how do people do it by themselves?

proudpapa97 02-28-2007 11:47 PM

Is the KDP something that is likely to fail, or is it more of a crap shoot??

dieselfuelonly 03-01-2007 07:53 AM

Definately more of the latter, however you should still get it done. I may do it this weekend (I doubt if I ordered it today it'd get here on Saturday though), or next. I just don't like sitting there worrying over it, I drive my truck every day and every time I fire it up its always there in the back of my head.