Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Kdp (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/kdp-81232/)

running4bhs 10-24-2005 02:39 PM

Kdp

:confused: Ok I just got done tabbing my KDP yesterday and I am happy that I did. Got the gear housing cover of and found the KDP back out about 1/2 inch. Got a hammer and punch and tapped it back in and then thought what’s this thing for. So I wanted to know what does this pin do, and when people remove it does it cause a problem at all. Thanks guys [dummy]

turbo thom 10-24-2005 04:41 PM

So when the cover is removed for replacement, should the pin be replaced if it is no longer there? What say you? Does it need to be there? If not, why was it use in the first place?

running4bhs 10-24-2005 06:41 PM

Ok I think you miss understood what I was saying. I understand what happens when the pin drops, but I wanted to know what the pin is for and what happens when people romove this pin.

infidel 10-24-2005 06:57 PM

There are actually two dowel pins, only one falls out and causes a problem.
It's absolutely necessary that both remain in place to keep the case from shifting, the case hold down bolts are loose in their holes compared to the dowel pins.

running4bhs 10-25-2005 02:09 AM

Ok so if you remove the one pin its not a big deal? Also this pin keeps the cause from shifting, Ok think Ive got it thanks

turbo thom 10-25-2005 07:44 AM

That's it Bill. That's the point I was making. A lot of times I will post a question for the "beginners" to ponder. There seems to be a lot of redundunt questions.

Greguw 10-25-2005 08:42 AM

Tighten that cover...

I'm new to the site and I just did my KDP ... my cover bolts were very loose ... I took out the bolts and cleaned and relock-tighted the bolts ...I'm glad I did that , especially the ones behind the timing gears .

Later

Greg

infidel 10-25-2005 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by running4bhs
Ok so if you remove the one pin its not a big deal? Also this pin keeps the cause from shifting, Ok think Ive got it thanks

It could be a big deal, leave the pin in place. Most times it's impossible to pull it out anyway. If you could pull it out it would have fell out on it's own by now.

Many people don't realize how much weight and torque the case is under. It supports and keeps your injection, power steering and vacuum pumps aligned.
If the case shifts due to no dowel pin it will change the way the gears mesh up and cause rapid wear. It can also change your timing.

running4bhs 10-25-2005 11:38 AM

Ok like my first post said I "Tabbed My KDP." I just heard about people taking theres out and thats what I was asking about.

Greguw 10-25-2005 01:32 PM

Re: KDP

I could have removed mine completly ... As a former wench , I also asked my self about the stress that is transfered to the cover ...I had to loose the main cover bolts in order to get the pin all the way in .

I definitely agree with Infidel ...The the pin is a vital part of the big picture ... That pin has pretty close tolerance's I would assume it dose absorb some type of load from all the pumps .
But if you seen how lose my cover was I would say your motor will run for some time with out it.
Later

Greg