invisible railroad-ties - Page 2 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

invisible railroad-ties

Old 10-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #16  

Yes, now that I've been attempting to build an order for all moving front-suspension parts, I agree it's probably worth verifying in advance, to the extent possible, what's in need of replacement.

I need to dig into the FSM (or ask here?) about checking the upper/lower ball-joints for wear. Can play be felt just by jacking up and attempting to wiggle each wheel along the camber axis, or will the coil-spring-force tend to mask any joint-looseness there? Do you have to really haul on it to know for sure, maybe use leverage? When I did this a few weeks ago, I got only a barely-perceptible 'click' that I'm virtually sure was the same bearing-wear I've felt in that wheel before.

Had my third death-wobble experience the other day. I always expect other drivers to see that something's clearly wrong - maybe they'd think I've got a flat tire - but so far, no one seems to even glance over as I work my way to the shoulder, barely able to hold on to the steering-wheel.
'pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 08:20 PM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'pants View Post
Had my third death-wobble experience the other day. I always expect other drivers to see that something's clearly wrong - maybe they'd think I've got a flat tire - but so far, no one seems to even glance over as I work my way to the shoulder, barely able to hold on to the steering-wheel.
This reminded me of when I saw (you couldn’t help but notice) a gentleman in a Jeep, haulin down the freeway, when suddenly he experienced death-wobble. Threw that thing all over the road. When he got to the side, he jumped out of that thing looking like he shat his pants. Poor guy..
OVERTORQUED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:13 PM   #18  

As some others commented, when I replaced a tire that was quite low on tread, the wobble-events ceased (apparently - it's been a couple of months now with no episodes). But I definitely need to replace bushings with the poly ones now sitting around, nagging me to get to them...
'pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:05 PM   #19  

i filled my ps pump with 140w gear oil. slowed that driping down a tad
joem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #20  

I replaced everything on my front-suspension, reduced the frequency, but still occurred. Finally, put dual stabilizer shocks on front, solved the problem. Have not had problem since, been over 6 months.
FlaCracker is offline   Reply With Quote