12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Intermittant Fuel Solenoid Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Intermittant Fuel Solenoid Problem

I've had this problem for awhile: The engine starts up when I turn the key all the way and the starter is engaged, and then as soon as the key returns to the "on" position the engine dies.

I replaced the ignition switch and the pin connector, and that did help the problem. But it's still there. I've also cleaned the fuel shutoff solenoid and replaced the little rubber boot.

To make matters even more strange, it likes to do it right after I fill the fuel tank! I can't think of any connection, but it has happened the last 3 times I've gotten fuel, and not any other times. I'll pull into the gas station, shut it off, pump fuel, and then when I try to start it, I have the problem. When that happens I keep the key in the "on" position, get out, raise the hood, manually pull the solenoid up and it will click into the up position and stay up, and THEN the engine will start up. Then if I go run errands and have to shut if off, most of the time it will start right up. Any ideas?
Old 04-06-2011, 06:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try dis connecting the solenoid, from the fuel lever, and wire it up in the run position, go start it, some times they get weak and dont always pull all the way up. Could be the solenoid relay is failing,
I also remember some thing about some wires, Corroding or wearing thin by the battery, Keep searching, some one will have the answer.
Its been a while since I had a fuel solenoid prob.
Sorry I couldnt be more specific,
Old 04-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's physically impossible for a solenoid itself to get "weak"
They either work or they don't.
They can appear weak if the linkage is binding or the innards of the solenoid are gunked up but a little cleaning solves that.

Most common causes for the lift portion of the solenoid to be intermittent is a worn shutdown relay on the firewall or a corroded blue wire (fusible link) at the battery.
Many times the blue link will be corroded under the insulation where you can't see it and can "weld" itself back together temporarily with temperature changes. If you flex the blue wire along it's full length you can find any corroded areas, they will flex much differently.

All this only applies if it's the lift portion of the solenoid giving you problems. If the hold portion is acting up the solutions are different but since you say lifting the solenoid gets you going I assume the problem is in the lift circuit.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:25 AM

Bill, I can't tell whether the lift portion is not lifting it all the way up, so the hold portion can hold it, or if the hold portion is just not holding for some temporary reason. I suspect the lift portion is not lifting it all the way up sometimes, but I haven't proved it yet.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:44 PM

If you have power to the solenoid can you lift up any more? That would be the lift portion. I had a problem with the run portion of the circuit but the lift portion gave me trouble also because of gunk inside the solenoid. Took it off and cleaned well and it fixed it. Had to replace the relay also as it would fail intermittently. They are inexpensive so not a big deal. I relocated that relay so I could pull it and take it with me when in a "make me nervous" area!
Old 04-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Relocating that relay is a good idea.

The solenoid lifts and holds most of the time. As I said in the first post, I did remove and clean the solenoid and replace the rubber boot. Maybe 1 time out of 25 it will lift up, the engine will start, and then when I let go of the key it will die. I can try to restart it 2-3-4 times with the key, and it will die every time, until I pop the hood, get out and with the key still on, pull the relay up by hand. It stays up then, and I get in the truck, start it up and drive away. What's really wacky is the last 3 times it's done this, it's been at the gas station, right after I put fuel in.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Swap the ASD relay in your underhood fuse box with the one for the A/C and see if the problem persists.
The power for the hold coil runs though this relay.

Larry B told me he now carries an improved solenoid that is much easier on the relays. Might be worth checking out if the solenoid does need replacing.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 AM

I had a problem with my fuel shutdown solenoid. Check the voltages at the ASD relay and make sure you don't have a short pulling your voltage down on the hold coil. I had a wire shorting against the wheel well on the left side engine compartment. Fixed her up and she was runnin fine again.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:19 PM

Next time it happens, get someone at the gas station to crank it while you watch what the solenoid does. My guess is that its not lifting high enough for the hold circuit to actually hold the plunger up, and the spring is pushing it back down. Seems to me your hold circuit is just fine if you lift the plunger up and it stays without turning the key off after it acts up.