12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

How many "grail" trucks are out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While most would think the 98 12v Quad Cabs are rare,either Shortbed or Longbed form,it is the Extend cabs which are rare.The date the Quads actually appeared is a mystery(should have been September)but I have seen build dates that actually go back as far as July on them.If your looking for more collectors value then a Ext cab would be what you want or a odd paint color and/or the incorrect motor for the build date.

There were 7 show trucks built in Oct 97 that had the newer 24v motor in them,all were Flame Red Sports and all were sticks.They were supposed to be destroyed however,one of those rare rides is here in PA and the paperwork supports it.I have also seen some early 98's with the incorrect dash in them and some with the wrong badging on them also.You would be surprised to see what you miss when you walk by a truck at a show,look and you may find something special.I will spend hours at shows looking for oddities and/or the wrong items which were factory installed.

As for rare or odd paint colors in the 98's,there were not many.Waterfall paint schemes were few and far between and the Sport line was limited in the colors available.Two which were available early in diesel Sports and not later were Forest Green Metallic and Driftwood.They were a 1/2 year colors and was gone early from the Sport run.Most two tone trucks had a Red or Orange stripe cutting their two colors,however as stated already some had Green and I have even seen Silver.

As for the 215 pumps,well at the end Ma Mopar was doing some really strange stuff with the 12v's.My truck had a 215 Cali EGR pump on it(found when we had it built) and the incorrect K frame member under the motor.When the A/C man went to do the new A/C compressor install none of the bolt holes lined up as the 12v's sit lower in the truck than the 24v's do.That also explained why the truck had a 24v oil pan on it when EEP installed the new chrome one and it barely clears the cross-member(not to mention how much higher we had to go with the motor to get the old pan out,sheesh).I have also seen a couple 12v auto trucks with Dana 80's in them from the factory.

Someone said they want a 12v and had been looking for a while now,well you need to look a tad harder or in the right spots.I personally know of two for sale,1 a QC Dually LB 5spd and the other a QC LB Auto.Keep the word about and someone will find you want you want,I never trust Ebay on a big purchase like this as the computer hides many flaws.

So the moral,look around,the oddities are out there and more prevalent than one would think,the trick is finding one and smile when you do because the owner will when you ask about it........Oh Yeah,And I am the proud owner of one of those oddities...........Andy
Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM
Banned

definately fewer club cab 98 12v's than quad cab. I'm on my third 98 quad. one of the best vehicles ever made in my opinion. My first two were 53 blocks (never gave me any problems). Current one is non-53. Kinda gives you a warm, fuzzy feeling
Old 11-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hmm, some good info there Hammer. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Take a look at the truck for sale in the classifieds here. 98 12 valve club cab short bed sport. Now that is a rare truck!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 11:38 AM

Thats my truck. I really dont want to sell it either! You guys stop!! LOL!
Old 11-08-2007, 09:02 PM

That is a nice truck. I like the long beds though. Pete
Old 11-09-2007, 09:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 12 flapper
I am not trying to start an arguement about who has the best cummins. But...
I have the best CTD...for me. Do you know how difficult it is to find a 2WD truck? I heard from an unreliable source that only 600 of my model were made.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rare1
I have the best CTD...for me. Do you know how difficult it is to find a 2WD truck? I heard from an unreliable source that only 600 of my model were made.
I have one of the 600 then. Mine has 24 valve badges on the doors that I assumed meant it was a cab replacement rollover, but the dealer claimed it couldn't possibly be with a clear Arizona title. His claim has a bit more credibility after reading this thread. Mine can't be a "grail" truck, though, with the 53 block.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:56 AM

got a QC w/a 215 pump and and auto also. used to be a short box till my father in law attempted to mount it with his Ranger... now it's a flatbed
Old 11-14-2007, 10:58 PM

i dont know about you guys, but my "grail" truck would have to be a sport package.

i would love to get my hands on a Deep Amethyst pearl, patriot blue or white Sport package diesel. id prefer an auto, just for racing's sake. but after that, i dont care if its 4x4 or 2wd. hell, id probably take any cab/bed combo just to get a nice Sport package! however, the only Deep Amethyst's ive seen in a Sport package were Gassers
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by catnfool
got a QC w/a 215 pump and and auto also. used to be a short box till my father in law attempted to mount it with his Ranger... now it's a flatbed
What the heck? I'd love to hear the rest of that story!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I miss my Amethyst....My first CTD was a 99 24v in Amethyst and only kept it for 8 months. Traded it in like an idiot for another 24v truck.

So later on when looking for a 12v QC 5spd, I hoped to find an Amethyst, did find an auto, but after a very long search, I settled on my Driftwood (crappy factory paint at that) 12v QC 5spd. Then, in less than a week an Amethyst 12v QC 5spd turns up 300 miles from here.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:01 AM

my friend has a 97 cab & chassis and it has a 12 valve w/215 pump and an electric lift pump like my 24 valve
Old 12-02-2007, 08:28 PM

Here is my 98 2500 CTD 12V 5spd LB Quad Cab 119,000 miles:

Name:  Image0042-1.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  35.5 KB
Old 12-03-2007, 12:30 PM
Banned

i dont know about you guys, but my "grail" truck would have to be a sport package.
Thats what mine is,Flame Red Sport.

i would love to get my hands on a Deep Amethyst pearl, patriot blue or white Sport package diesel. id prefer an auto, just for racing's sake. but after that, i dont care if its 4x4 or 2wd. hell, id probably take any cab/bed combo just to get a nice Sport package! however, the only Deep Amethyst's ive seen in a Sport package were Gassers
"Deep Amethyst Pearllcoat" was a 99 color and found on some late 98's and is one of the rarest 98 colors to find.This was due to the fact that it was primarily a gasser color and it was dropped in Mid 99 due to a,as Ma Mopar called it,"lack of interest".I know of two of those colored diesels but both are 99's and both are 24v's.Also,this color was not a Sport color,SLT only.

White is very common in Sports and there are a few 12v's around here with that combo.All of them,the ones I have seen,are White Pearlcoat with Red Sport Badging and all have had Light Agate interiors.One of them is a 3500 White Sport and as of this writing was for sale.

Patriot Blue Pearlcoat is a later model year color and was not available in 98.It is also NOT a Sport color in the years in which it does reside so If you find one it was done by someone other than the factory.

Intense Blue Pearlcoat in a 98 Sport 12v is what I want,Quad or Ext cab and they are hard to find.I ran across one two weeks ago down in Virginia south of Harrisonburg at a local fuel stop we patronize and could have cried when I looked it over.There wasn't a straight piece of metal on it and it sounded like it was running on 4.5 cylinders.When I asked the contractor about the truck he said he was the original owner and it "was" a good truck until lately when it began running bad.Asked if he would part with it and he told me nope,I could have cried,LOL.Someday I will find one........Andy

Quick Reply: How many "grail" trucks are out there?