12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

give me the cold truth...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimk
When I pull up to a stop light and the truck is trying to pull off is a irritate to me an that is with a stock converter. I generaly just ease the shifter into n if it is for any time at all at a stop light or what ever.
Have you tried lowering your idle? Under 750rpms it barely pulls, at 850rpms you have to fight to hold it back.

Anyone who has asked me how I like my truck pretty much gets the same response, the truck is pretty good, the motor is awesome, and the tranny is an absolute embarassment. But like others have said, once you get it beefed up (I plan on sending mine to GB this spring) it is IMO better than a manual tranny.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
This Article has been proven to be 100% facts.

Auto Transmissions Explained

Written By Den052

Either install an auxiliary oil cooler to lower the transmission fluid and provide better lubrication, or switch to synthetic transmission oil or alternative oil such as hydraulic oil instead of ATF. When you think of hydraulic oil in a transmission, it is exactly that. After all, an automatic transmission is operated hydraulically, so it is not so far fetched. I use it in my Dodge instead of an oil cooler, and my pan stays clean 24/7.
Has anyone ever switched from ATF to hyrdaulic oil? I read this in the FAQ section and did a search and this was closest thread I've found so far to mention it.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:41 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mslaughter
Has anyone ever switched from ATF to hyrdaulic oil? I read this in the FAQ section and did a search and this was closest thread I've found so far to mention it.
As I recall the folks at DTT (Diesel Truck Transmission) tried it and weren't happy with the results, rapid clutch wear.
I've only heard one person the diesel boards swear by using hydraulic fluid.
Personally I don't see why a person would want to use it, hydraulic fluid isn't that much cheaper. Sort of reminds me of the concoctions some folks use in place of a designed for diesel fuel additive.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rare1, no apologies needed-- and I wanted to thank you for your excellent posting.

The problem, imo, with the stock automatic is twofold:
1) much lower capabilities than the engine (in terms of tq capacity)
2) improperly designed shift algorithms.

In the first case, it's just cost cutting and cheap parts and/or assembly quality. Ask Bill K about the quality of the machining of an OEM 47re or 48RE case to the parts that fit in it, and you'll get a lesson on tranny leakage.

In the second case, it's using "gasser" logic to control shift patterns. With the CTD, the tranny shouldn't have part throttle downshifts-- it should only downshift when the engine just can't pull the load, at normal RPM-- just like you'd do driving a stick. Instead, the OEM programming profile has part throttle downshifting that is a poor match to the low-rpm tq of the Cummins.

I suspect these two things are related, and that the trans is setup the way it is to help it live longer, because if it had to apply a hard load to the Cummins, the trans itself would see a much higher load and be more likely to fail given OEM quality.

jlh
Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 PM

Sorry!! you will never be right with a auto!!
neather will !!!!! I hate my built Auto!!

go with a standered!! (sp) ?
Old 08-10-2006, 10:53 PM

Alls I have to say is NV5600.