12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Getrag to 47rh swap now back to 5 speed NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 05:47 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Getrag to 47rh swap now back to 5 speed NEED HELP!

I have a 1993 that was originally a Getrag. The P.O. swapped from that to a 47rh due to knee problems complicating actuation of the clutch pedal. I bought the truck as it is low mileage (just coming up on 130,000 miles after owning it for over a year), and I read stuff on here of people telling how great the 47rh swap was. After owning the truck for several months I figured out I did not like the 47rh all that much as the gears are farther apart than I like and I don’t like having to flip a switch every time to allow it to go into overdrive and than another to let it lock the TC in.

I have planned for a while now to eventually swap to a NV4500 since I already have the adapter plate and starter, but possibly back to Getrag if the right deal comes along. Well... last Friday the 47rh decided it was as done with me as I have been with it, and then some, and puked on me. I managed to get it home, but it is done. I can barely get the truck going. It feels normal going into gear, but then doesn’t want to get moving. Once I gets it moving it drives normal, but stopping or slowing down much was a nightmare.

So so now I don’t have the option of waiting for the right deal or funds to come along as this truck is my only vehicle. I can snag a ride to work most days with a buddy, but normally we alternate days to drive. So with that and just wanting to be able to actually go places on the weekend and such without having to beg friends and family to tote me around i am in a hurry to get this thing swapped. Luckily the manual swap looks to be cheaper than a decent rebuild on the 47rh.

So so now I have a few questions. The truck still has a np205 for the transfer case, so I’m guessing an adapter or something was used to go from the 23 spline transmission to the 29 spline transfer case. One thing I am not sure of is the neutral safety switch/backup light plug. Does anyone have an educated guess as to how it may have been changed or modified? Or is it the same plug for both so I could just unplug and plug into the NSS/backup light plug for the manual? How much different is the driveshaft length? Will I need to have driveshafts adjusted? I know that there are some threads that answer similar questions, but I haven’t found one on a swap from 47rh to NV4500 in a first gen. P.S. This is kind of a silly question, but what color do people bit I paint the transmission? I kind of want to paint it a color so that I can tell people that everything painted a certain color is stuff I changed.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:47 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
It is a lot of parts, fabricating, and work to do a transmission swap. Just did the 518 to 47RH myself.
Depending on how they did the 47RH conversion will depend on what you will need to do to undo it. I'm going to take a wild guess here and 2 people got together and traded running gears.
As far as controlling the 47RH, I used the Compushift Mini. Works well enough on it's own. All I added is an OD override like the 518 had.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
I will take the time to answer some of your questions.

The 47RH is MUCH longer than a Getrag or NV-4500 so expect to change the driveshafts...front and back.

I bet they just used a fairly common and easy to find 23 Spline NP-205 when they did the conversion, rather than convert over the original 29 spline.
So I would check that out NOW so you know if you need to source a 29 Spline NP-205, which is hard to find and expensive.
You need to know what parts you actual need to be shopping for to get a good price estimate for parts.

You will also need the 4x4 shifter linkage and mount.

I personally don't like the NV-4500 swap on 4x4 1st gens. I use the Getrag only now for my builds after doing a NV-4500 swap with Advanced Adapters parts which I also thought where pretty crappy. I had to modify and redesign the brackets and parts they supplied.

MrFusion paints his custom parts he adds to his truck in yellow for the same reason.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
I will take the time to answer some of your questions.

The 47RH is MUCH longer than a Getrag or NV-4500 so expect to change the driveshafts...front and back.

I bet they just used a fairly common and easy to find 23 Spline NP-205 when they did the conversion, rather than convert over the original 29 spline.
So I would check that out NOW so you know if you need to source a 29 Spline NP-205, which is hard to find and expensive.
You need to know what parts you actual need to be shopping for to get a good price estimate for parts.

You will also need the 4x4 shifter linkage and mount.

I personally don't like the NV-4500 swap on 4x4 1st gens. I use the Getrag only now for my builds after doing a NV-4500 swap with Advanced Adapters parts which I also thought where pretty crappy. I had to modify and redesign the brackets and parts they supplied.

MrFusion paints his custom parts he adds to his truck in yellow for the same reason.
The reason I’m leaning more and more towards the NV4500 is I already have the adapter plate and starter for it with the 47rh being in. As for the transfer case, how do I tell what spline transfer case I have? Couldn’t I just swap the shaft to a 29 spline if it is a 23? It doesn’t really matter how much it is going to cost, because I have to get a working transmission in the truck anyway and I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on the jimmy rigged 47rh that I don’t care for. I don’t want to spend more than I have to, but I’ve already accepted that it is going to be expensive. Nothing I can do about that though.

I am hoping I maybe can find a parts truck or something to get the transmission from and hopefully a transfer case too. Maybe I can find one with a blown or missing motor. That would give me pedals too with maybe hydraulics as well. The thing I worry about is the electrical connections for the NSS and the backup lights.

Maybe I would be better off just finding a Getrag and trying to find an adapter plate, but then I’d need a starter too. Maybe that’s a minor detail, but it has just been one of my thoughts. I appreciate your advice and willingness to answer questions. It’s starting to sound like more and more work, uh I mean fun
Old 05-29-2018, 05:02 PM

How do you tell what spline T-case you have?
You pull it and check out the coupler on the inside. Externally they will look the same.

I would do that you so you know what parts you need to make a better plan.
Price is not the only concern. Why wait till you are ready to install all the 5 speed swap parts you bought only to discover you have a 23 spline NP-205? It might take you week or more just to sort that issue out.

I am trying to save you time AND money.

Find the adapter plate and starter will be easy in comparison to getting a 29 spline NP-205.

If you can't locate the correct adapter plate and starter you can always PM me I have several.

Spare 29 spline NP-205s...I don't have any of those.
Spare 23 spline ones, I have several.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:17 PM

How do you tell what spline T-case you have?
You pull it and check out the coupler on the inside. Externally they will look the same.

I would do that you so you know what parts you need to make a better plan.
Price is not the only concern. Why wait till you are ready to install all the 5 speed swap parts you bought only to discover you have a 23 spline NP-205? It might take you week or more just to sort that issue out.

I am trying to save you time AND money.

Find the adapter plate and starter will be easy in comparison to getting a 29 spline NP-205.

If you can't locate the correct adapter plate and starter you can always PM me I have several.

Spare 29 spline NP-205s...I don't have any of those.
Spare 23 spline ones, I have several.
Alright. Too bad they don’t have a different number on the tag or something to tell you what spline the transfer case is. Thanks for the offer on the adapter plate and starter! I’ll be sure to let you know if I need one. EDIT: I found the phone number of the guy I bought the truck from and called and talked to him. He said he swapped a 23 spline np205 in when he swapped the 47rh in, so I am definitely going to have to get a different transfer case. He did just as you predicted and traded the Getrag and everything for it for the 47rh and transfer case. I found a Getrag with the transfer case and everything, but it is a 12 hour drive to get it. That’s a little farther than I can feasibly go. I have a shop in a small town I visit regularly looking though and they actually have some good connections. It is a farming community and there are lots of old dodges around there in varying condition, so I’m hoping they can find me a parts truck for decently cheap.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:48 AM

I would recommend reading Thrashingcows, crew cab build.
Did did the auto to manual swap using a NV-4500.
He aslo converted his 23 spline NP-205 to a 29 spline, which looked like some serious work.

Do the research and make your decision informed of your options.

Swapping out the 47 RH auto rather than the A-518 auto will make very little difference to your manual swap as far as the pieces, parts and info. you will need.
Old 06-16-2018, 08:00 AM

I would recommend reading Thrashingcows, crew cab build.
Did did the auto to manual swap using a NV-4500.
He aslo converted his 23 spline NP-205 to a 29 spline, which looked like some serious work.

Do the research and make your decision informed of your options.

Swapping out the 47 RH auto rather than the A-518 auto will make very little difference to your manual swap as far as the pieces, parts and info. you will need.
Thanks. I’m still undecided on which transmission I’ll go with, but it is looking like I am going to end up stripping the case down and having it machines like thrashingcows did. All the transfer cases that are 29 spline I have found are a long ways away. I haven’t even been able to find a parts truck here. First gens are a big thing here in Utah and everyone wants the 5 speed. I know that the Getrags can last a long time, but they still make me somewhat nervous with their small bearings. Pretty much every transmission shop I’ve talked to has nothing good to say about the Getrag. I know the nv4500 can lose 5th gear and that the “fix” for it is more just a band aid, but they seem to be a overall heavier duty transmission.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:34 AM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
These guys sell the kit for that swap although you still have to have some machine work done, copy and paste this in your browser and it will take you right to the page.

tk2001 - Torque King 4x4

Kinda spendy but you get every thing, if you go with the getrag I would talk to them and make sure the coupler is the right one.