12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Getrag 360 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getrag 360 question

I have been looking but haven't found any information or parts for the top cover. I have had the shifter disengage from the forks in 5th a few times and this last time I was shifting from 3rd to 2nd and it was stuck in 3rd. Couldn't move it at all.

I'm having the 3-4 fork sticking and not being able to shift it. If I wiggle it, turn it upside down, shack it it will shift a few time and then stop again.

I have disassembled it and everything was coated with a fine coating of sludge/burnt oil. Cleaned it up and inspected the detent ***** and springs and cups. All look normal and all measured within .002" of each other. The rails look great no abnormal wear or flat spots.

Does anyone know where I can get new cups, springs and *****? Or should I lube them with grease, Vaseline or just oil. Yes I did have 5:30 in it and overfilled one quart. Po had gear oil in it and when I drained it I just refilled it with 5:30 and did not clean it out could this have caused some issues?

I did find some wear on the bearing races and on the input shaft race. Interesting thing on the input shaft was I had play up and down but non left to right that could be felt and seen without a Gage! Thinking I should replace it and the bearings and race. Also found some Nick's in the top edge of the fork of 3-4 and on the Synchro I found what looked like waves where the fork rides but could not feel them with my fingernail and no visible gouges in it and the teeth are fine showing minimal if any wear. 5-R showing wear/polished spots on fork and Synchro but again teeth look good. Thinking of replacing the forks and Synchros on them. 1-2 look fine and probably will leave them alone. All gears are great no abnormal wear or flat spots.

​​​​​​I have found kits and part for the transmission but haven't found anything for the top cover. That is where I really need the help. At $400 to $600 for a new top cover that isn't about to happen anytime soon.

So what do you all think? Am I heading in the right direction with this repair? One last question how do I know which transfer case I have? It has no markings on it.

Thanks in advance for your time and information.
91.5 W250 Getrag 360 and 3.54 diffs.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:48 PM

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,572 Posts
As far as the T-case you have a NP-205 with the 29 spline count on the input shaft.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try out Midwest transmission

Originally Posted by Cornfedrides
I have been looking but haven't found any information or parts for the top cover. I have had the shifter disengage from the forks in 5th a few times and this last time I was shifting from 3rd to 2nd and it was stuck in 3rd. Couldn't move it at all.

I'm having the 3-4 fork sticking and not being able to shift it. If I wiggle it, turn it upside down, shack it it will shift a few time and then stop again.

I have disassembled it and everything was coated with a fine coating of sludge/burnt oil. Cleaned it up and inspected the detent ***** and springs and cups. All look normal and all measured within .002" of each other. The rails look great no abnormal wear or flat spots.

Does anyone know where I can get new cups, springs and *****? Or should I lube them with grease, Vaseline or just oil. Yes I did have 5:30 in it and overfilled one quart. Po had gear oil in it and when I drained it I just refilled it with 5:30 and did not clean it out could this have caused some issues?

I did find some wear on the bearing races and on the input shaft race. Interesting thing on the input shaft was I had play up and down but non left to right that could be felt and seen without a Gage! Thinking I should replace it and the bearings and race. Also found some Nick's in the top edge of the fork of 3-4 and on the Synchro I found what looked like waves where the fork rides but could not feel them with my fingernail and no visible gouges in it and the teeth are fine showing minimal if any wear. 5-R showing wear/polished spots on fork and Synchro but again teeth look good. Thinking of replacing the forks and Synchros on them. 1-2 look fine and probably will leave them alone. All gears are great no abnormal wear or flat spots.

​​​​​​I have found kits and part for the transmission but haven't found anything for the top cover. That is where I really need the help. At $400 to $600 for a new top cover that isn't about to happen anytime soon.

So what do you all think? Am I heading in the right direction with this repair? One last question how do I know which transfer case I have? It has no markings on it.

Thanks in advance for your time and information.
91.5 W250 Getrag 360 and 3.54 diffs.
https://www.midwesttrans.com/g360.html
try this link. Good tech staff. Good parts. Bought my NV4500 swap from these guys.