Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Ford conversion questions and concerns- (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/ford-conversion-questions-concerns-82854/)

robsredford 11-13-2005 03:18 PM

Ford conversion questions and concerns-

I have been reading on several different sites..and the time has come to ask a few questions. I have a bought an 01 F350 with a 7.3 with a dead cylinder. I would like to put in a Cummins, as I have had lots of luck with them in small Freightliners, I want to keep the automatic.I also have really only found 12V to be affordable. What kind of mileage are you 4wd automatic trucks getting with mild to wild mods? What is your gearing and tire size? What is the most reliable way to get 350 - 400 rwhp with an 12v automatic? I would love to have a 24v but they seem cost prohibitive. I have had several 7.3's and they only get 15 to 17 mpg, my 6.0 only gets 16 to 18, but my neighbors twin turbo 24v dually gets 24 to 26 if he babies it, but it is a manual. I'd love to get the reliability of the cummins and the power, but I want decent mileage.

Who makes the adaptors for the Ford Tranmission (4r100) to cummins?

mr T 11-13-2005 03:49 PM

first visit:

http://www.fordcummins.com/

are u sayign u wanna keep the ford auto tranny? or are u gonna get any tranny?

robsredford 11-13-2005 09:14 PM

I want to keep the ford trans... and I have looked over at the Ford Cummins site...Just thought I'd seen someone on this site telling where to buy the adaptor for the trans cheaper.

BoostdCTD 11-13-2005 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by robsredford
What kind of mileage are you 4wd automatic trucks getting with mild to wild mods? What is your gearing and tire size? What is the most reliable way to get 350 - 400 rwhp with an 12v automatic?

I'm probably a little on the higher end of average since I have a fairly soft foot and have a good stretch of 50mph roads, but so far my worst non-towing tank has been 20mpg with my best a little over 24mpg. I have 3.55 rear end with 32" tires. Typically the 12V gets slightly better mileage than a 24V. The biggest obstacle getting power out of the Cummins (in our Ram at least) is the tranny. As for getting that power level you'd probably want 3k gsk, 370 injectors, and a better fuel plate with maybe a Dodgezilla turbo?

Smkndzl 11-13-2005 10:31 PM

Rob, you should contact Superduty on this list , he is very knowledgable about swapping the Cummins into a Ford. he just finished putting a common rail with the ford trans in his.

AAmeeting 11-13-2005 11:58 PM

What exactly is a dead cylinder? Is it just a bad injector or something worse (rings)? Just Curious...

Greguw 11-14-2005 06:52 AM

Re : conversion

Hi Guys

I was also considering doing the coversion ... I have the technical back ground to do the coversion ... I love the cummins , I was so demorelized by my ford ... I was going to do the coversion .

I did some #'s , for me to put a 12valve ...if I could find one with low miles ... I would never pull the one out of my new to me dodge ...I love this truck .

If I was going to put a reconditioned 12 valve with all the new parts it was cheeper for me to buy an new 300 hp + for 8 grand and just do the job right the first time than it would be for me to piece together a lot of used parts .

Plus my ford just sucked all the life out of me with all the problems the truck had ...its a great looking truck ...it's in the Misc trucks on this its ...

Once it gose I'm getting a new mega dually.

Later

Greg

robsredford 11-14-2005 09:05 PM

thanks for the input , the mileage is a big factor for me, as for the dead cylinder, this truck has 228 k hard miles, dirtiest truck I have ever seen, # 8 was not passing test with NGS tester, cylinder contribution test, replaced injector, stilll getting compression in crankcase, so rings, cylinder wall or head , I assume, the truck still runs, matter of fact I sold my other truck so this one is driven every day, at idle it will burn you eyes a bit...lol, I put alot of miles on my trucks, my personal highest was 508k on 99 superduty, I have a 7.3 to put in this truck and also a 6.0 , both from wrecked trucks, however in the back of my mind, I've always wanted a simple stout 12v in a Ford, sorry I never liked the dodge body, I figure it will go 600k, and for the naysayers, there was a 2003 Ford 6.0 dually at the sale the other day with 233k, guy deliverd boats with it, so the will make it!