12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

FLEX-A-LITE FANS!!! putting them to the test!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dozer12216
I can't wait for a scientific one behind the other, same driver, load, time, wind resistance, ect genuine comparsion. With some real figures. I have a ideal of what it will take to get one on my truck. Is FLEX A LITE ready for this???
Whats up with this guy? Anyway joe whats up are they keepin her cool? how much did they go up on the uphill climb and what % grade did you climb loaded?
Old 08-24-2008, 05:40 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Dozer, chill out. Joe posted a thread with his results. If you don't believe the results, then do your own test.. Seems like the one I would trust on this one would be Joe, especially given the amount of miles he's putting on his truck with these fans.

You may say he's got no scientific proof. So where is your proof that he's wrong?
Old 08-24-2008, 06:13 PM

Thank you RACING JOE66 for your time and effort to post your real life experiences with the electric fans! you have already gave me more than enough proof that these fans will work for me! the world needs more dudes like you!! thanks again
Old 08-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Chapter President

Jack/Lary,

Dozer12216 is my uncle, he doesnt mean any harm, I showed him the forum so you guys can blame me. LOL. I know he looks into every possible route for better MPGs and is just joking about the magnets.

Daniel
Old 08-24-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been removing the fan on my 2500 totally from Nov-July for the past eight years and have only seen a slight increase in mileage, less than 1 mpg. Sort of find it hard to believe electric fans could increase mpgs as much as no fan at all. This is with straight #2, no winter blend just anti-gel additive. Of course this is not towing but plenty of hills and it could be that fanless is making up for the decrease in mpgs that winter weather creates due to longer warm ups and increased idling.
I have a 0-300°F gauge in the intake horn to measure intake temps and have found that once you get over 30 mph fan and fanless intake temps are the same. The only time intake temps really climb is with the A/C on in stop and go traffic, which is hard to find in my parts unless there is an accident or construction.
I leave my fan off until the outside temps start breaking 80°. Like the way the heater comes up sooner and the engine is so much quieter. Worst thing about fanless is I hate putting it back on and listening to the roar it makes even without the clutch locked up.
I've read a locked fan pulls 23 hp!!!
If all that power is really necessary for worst case cooling it would take one heck of an electric fan, I equate it to one of my 25 hp irrigation pump motors that have to be picked up with a forklift.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i will post shortly were i drove from were to were and pulling what. and hopefully most of you will know the roads i took to verify some of the hills i went up and so forth. i will post my noted temps as well and other misc stuff. here is the town to town we did the whole trip. we left on tuesday @ 11am and returned here in Iowa today at 3pm. so this will let u do your own math on how much driving 2 of us did on these fans and so forth.

1---Cresco, IA to Port Huron, Mi pulling a 19' javalin boat
2---Port Huron, MI to Williamston, MI empty
3---Williamston, MI to Cresco, IA pulling a 13' Trotwood Travel Trailer
4---Cresco, IA to Syracuse, UT pulling a 20' deep hull alum crestliner 2 engs
5---Syracuse, UT to Loveland, CO empty
6---Loveland, CO to Burlington, NC 24' enclosed trailer FULL 17,500 pounds
7---Burlington, NC to Supply, NC empty
8---Supply, NC to Guntersville, AL 2005 yamaha banshee in the bed
9---Guntersville, AL to Cresco, IA ATV, 2005 pioneer 25' camper 6500lbs camper only.

there is the EXACT run down of what our trip was from the exact time i posted we left and the exact time we rolled into our home town!!! u guys can do a mapquest and see the miles and so forth. QUICKEST TIME ROUTE!!!

we are leaving on tuesday or wednesday (prob wed morning) i will post from were to were. AND IF ANYBODY WOULD LIKE TO VERIFY AND RIDE IN THE TRUCK ON THIS COMING TRIP WERE I WILL HAVE MY 45' TRAILER LET ME KNOW. U HAVE A BIG HILL NEAR BY URE PLACE AND WANT TO SEE HOW THEY WORK LET ME KNOW. IF TIME PERMITSS I WILL STOP BY. I AM NO JOKER AND NO LIAR!!! I WILL BE GOING ON MY NEXT TRIP THROUGH THE FOLLOWING:
1--iowa to wisconsin then to ohio.
2--ohio to texas then to north carolina and virgina
3--virgina back to iowa

will post the towns tomm when i post more info. as i am not totally 100% sure on the states order but thats the general route we will be taking.

thanks and hope u guys like it, as to who can benefit from this info anyway!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:55 PM

well i have a dentist appointment at 6:30 in the morning and i have a 30 minute drive to get there. so i am off to bed and will post the remainder tomm for those that would like to see.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 AM

temps are dropping around here... may just drop my fan real soon... thanks

Originally Posted by infidel
I've been removing the fan on my 2500 totally from Nov-July for the past eight years and have only seen a slight increase in mileage, less than 1 mpg. Sort of find it hard to believe electric fans could increase mpgs as much as no fan at all. This is with straight #2, no winter blend just anti-gel additive. Of course this is not towing but plenty of hills and it could be that fanless is making up for the decrease in mpgs that winter weather creates due to longer warm ups and increased idling.
I have a 0-300°F gauge in the intake horn to measure intake temps and have found that once you get over 30 mph fan and fanless intake temps are the same. .
Old 08-25-2008, 07:20 AM

2500---------- let us know how it works!!! i would never run my truck without a fan!!! EVER!! goodluck
Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 PM

I have run without a fan from Oct 1 to May 1 every year since new-2001.5
Old 08-25-2008, 02:08 PM

So what was overall average mileage for the whole trip??? Best tank, worst tank??
Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 PM

i will be posting when i get home tonight!! i had to drive an hour to go by a GPS unit and a new condensor for my truck. then had to get a couch n stove for my mom. i have the hour drive back home.

if i don't get it posted tonight it will be tomm morning!!

watch.

joe
Old 08-27-2008, 03:31 PM

sorry guys i got busy the past few days and hadn't time to post the findings. i am now on the road again with my 45' fully enclosed trailer. right now we are sitting at 21,000-22,000 pounds and haven't had a problem yet. has been sitting constantly at 180*. we did go up a 8% grade hill for 2.5 miles and the temp only went up to 185* and the outside temp is 75*. either while on this trip or when i get home i will post the findings for mileage. on the trip home we will be sitting @ 25,000 pounds.

and i will post my few trips before the last that i had my truck fans on and let u guys do some figureing.

joe (the guy that isn't putting these fans to a test!!!!!)
Old 08-28-2008, 03:58 PM

ok guys. so far this trip i havne't been able to get the engine temp past 195*. this is pulling my 45' enclosed trailer and a wieght of 23,500 with the trailer, truck, load. this is how it has gone so far.
Cresco, Iowa to Johnson Creek, WI 23,500 pounds
Johnson Creek, WI to Oshkosh, WI 23,130 pounds
Oshkosh, WI to Marysville, OH 22,500 pounds
Marysville, OH to Newburgh, IN 16,500 pounds
Newburgh, IN to San Antonio, TX 17,000 pounds

the truck not once got over 180-185* until we had 1 very very steep 8% grade hill and the temp went to 195*.

i will post more and all my findings as soon as i get home from this trip and can acutally do the math.

thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 07:55 PM

Racing Joe do you see any movement in the alt guage when they run due to draw and are you running a stock alt?Thanks for being a lab rat and testing these to the max.

Wayne

Quick Reply: FLEX-A-LITE FANS!!! putting them to the test!!