12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

FLEX-A-LITE FANS!!! putting them to the test!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FLEX-A-LITE FANS!!! putting them to the test!!

ok guys, my flex-a-lite electric fans arrived today. i am installing them on my truck starting tomm and saturday. as well as my new intercooler and a
4K GSK kit as well.

on monday i will be pulling a 19' boat 800 miles and will post on monday night how they work. then on tuesday i will be pulling a tiny 13' camper so nothing to really post there but when i return to iowa i will post on how they work anyway. then on wednesday i will be leaving iowa for UTAH and COLORADO pulling a 20' crestliner boat. i will post nightly what i find out on how these fans work. then when i get to UTAH i have about a 200 mile trip to COLORADO pulling nothing to pickup a 24' enclosed trailer with a race car in it. and i will post how they fair against that.

if the fans aren't up to par i will be stopping back in iowa before i pull the trailer the rest of the way to North Carolina to trade back out for the stock set-up or else i will just carry the stock stuff with me and the tools to change it out on the road. just in case.

but if the fans are up to par, then i have a 25' camper to pull back to iowa with me to further test the fans more.

THEN IF THE FANS WORK FINE WITH ALL THIS PULLING I WILL THROW MY 45' FULLY ENCLOSED TRAILER AT IT AND SEE HOW THEY WORK!!!!!

so watch this and i will tell u honestly how these fans work!! i have electric fans on my dirt track race car and have a few issues to clear up. but i am thinking with my truck to make these work i will need to remove the stock tranny cooler from the front of the radiator and move it under the truck and use an electric fan on it as well. this way to reduce the air temp coming through the front of the raditor considerable.

i am also looking at adding water/meth injection kit on the truck or maybe hydrogen (to help reduce exhaust and engine temps) might help better with the electricfans. just debating which to go with. in 1-3 monthes i will be putting in my digital propane injection kit on the truck.

watch for updates!!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:58 PM

I'll be watching this one, I'm concerned about the 5,500 vs 8,800 cfm of the flex vs the stock fan. Good luck in your travels, please let us know if they make any difference in power or fuel economy...
Old 08-14-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in too, wanna catch the results
Old 08-14-2008, 11:19 PM

hopefully tomm i will have the intercooler and the 4K GSK kit and the electric fans on the truck. that way either tomm or on saturday i will take the truck out and do some normal driving through town and on the open highway for some intial test and see how the fans work. then if all is good i will hook my 45' trailer up empty and that will put me at around 14,000-15,000 pounds. and i will test it around town and then on the highway and post my findings.

that way before i even hit the road i will have an idea.

now as for a propane kit i already have it. now i am wondering what you guys have for advise for water/meth kits and or hydorgen?? this would help out alot with cooling to help the elec fans work better. the same for moving the trans cooler to under the truck. and i have a few other mods i will be doing and post my findings.

watch for updates.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:18 AM

Hows the project going? I'm also looking in to the flexalite fans.
Where in Iowa are you?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:08 AM

Watching also .
Old 08-15-2008, 10:17 AM

roughstock. don't waste ure money until i see how well these work!! TRUST ME THEY WILL BE PUT TO THE ULTIMATE TEST HERE!!! i live in NE IOWA Cresco to be exact!! were are you from?

thanks
Old 08-15-2008, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, I'm interested too.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:15 PM

I hope you have better luck than I did...I ran 2 on the inside radiator...not enough, I split the trans cooler off to the side under the truck with a seperate fan...that helped the tranny, but the motor still ran hot...Running empty would probably be ok, but I usually run 16k to 21k combined gross.

Anyhow...I have the Snow Performance Stage III methanol injection and I like it a lot...no complaints.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:14 PM

ok got the 4K GSK kit in today. and also got the fans in and partially wired before i went to the races tonight. will finish up the fans tomm and will take for a test run. i think i am going to through my 45' fully enclosed trailer empty at it tomm and see how it works!!

my new intercooler wasn't on the UPS truck today so i call "radiator US" to get the tracking # and it took the guy 1/2 hour to get it to me. and come to find out they shipped it UPS GROUND but yet charged me for OVERNIGHT!! oh man was i upset with them. and they said i would have to call back on monday to talk with a manager to get something done!!! that just drove me nutz!!!

anyway will keep u all posted on how the fans truely work!!!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 PM

6bt12v----- i have a couple ideas i am going to try to really make this electric fan setup work for over 18K CGVW towing. i am pretty sure i can make it work and will keep you all posted.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:54 AM

ok i am finishing up the electrical. does anyone know which wire is the hot and which is the ground on the A/C???

i have a black with a white strip
and a blue with a black strip.

let me know.

thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 02:40 PM

---------------INTIAL FINDINGS------------------

ok the GSK kit and the fans are in.

1---GSK kit!!! WOW!!! if i manually shift my auto HOLY COW hang on for the ride!!!!!!!!! idle went up around 100 rpm or so. so i would say i have it adjusted right. just need to idle it down a hair now. but now if i let the auto shift automatically!!! my truck is slower and less responsive!!!!! so i called and left a message for dave # the geroand brothers to call me back and hopefully he can get me in on monday morning and adjust the shift points a little higher. what do u guys think??? let me know ure opinions here!!!

2---electric fans!! got the wiring done and so far so good!!! works from sqaure one. thats pulling nothing and driving around town then going out on the highway and really getting on it and letting the exhaust temp get up to 1500* for a quick time. turbos going anyway and have a new one coming so if the turbo goes oh well. its just gonna get rebuilt and be my spare one on the shelf.

the temp stayed at 180 the whole time. when i did a quick burn out and let the exhaust temp get to 1500* the engine temp went to 195.

well i am going to hook up my 45' fully enclosed trailer now and take it for another run and see how she does with some of these very very big hills we have around here in NE IOWA.

will post my findings in just a bit. gonna go hook up the trailer now and go for a spin.

thanks
Old 08-16-2008, 06:17 PM

ok i talked with dave. he says it could be since i have a 10 PSI boost leak that it will make the torque convertor work harder. so to get the intercooler changed out then try. and run it to him and just have them look at it.

----------ELECTRIC FANS UPDATE 45' FULLY ENCLOSED TRAILER-------

ok guys. i just burned 1/2 a tank of fuel and took my truck out with my 45' fully enclosed steel trailer with plywood floors and walls, so not a light aluminum one. i took it on the hillest and curvey roads we have around here in NE IOWA. i went on a 150 mile trip. this is what i found out:

outside temp 80-85*

195* was the hottest it ever got NO MATTER WHAT i threw at it!!!! it stayed that temp without the A/C on, just going with my windows down. then cruising it would go to 185* to 195* depending on the terrian. when i would turn the overdrive off the engine temp would go down and so would the exhaust temp. and going up hills i could keep the exhaust temp at 1200* and 65mph and the engine temp still wouldn't get past 195*

185*/190* was the hottest it would get with the A/C on. and cruising i would see 180*. then sitting in park and letting the truck sit in idle for the 30 minutes the temp was 170* with the A/C on full blast on the truck.

NOW REMEMBER THIS. THIS IS WITH MY INTERCOOLER LEAK OF 10-14 PSI. AS MY NEW INTERCOOLER WON'T BE HERE TILL TOMM!!!

anyone have any questions shot away!!!

i figured i would take the truck out for the first time pulling with my big trailer to see how it would fair before i go and pull a tiny boat out on the road. incase i would need to change them back out for the stocks one before i leave on monday. so far what i have seen its going to fair pretty good!!! get my boost leak fixed and i might see a drop in the temp a little.

will post more on my trips and let u guys know!!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Banned

whats the wieght, they say not over 18,000 i plan on grossing out at 23,000

Quick Reply: FLEX-A-LITE FANS!!! putting them to the test!!