12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

inline transmission oil filters yes? no?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
inline transmission oil filters yes? no?

I blew a cooler line (again) and I'm sick of my scabbed up cooler lines so it's time to rebuild them front to back.

I picked up a double flair tool, so I'm going to cut the metal lines a couple inches out of the transmission and put in hose barbs then run rubber hose. I have to run to a secondary cooler tucked up between the frame rails under the bed and all the way to the front and back again. Should be fun.

Stop me now if there's a better way!

I'm currently pondering if an inline oil filter is a good or worthwhile thing to put in?
Old 01-11-2018, 08:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Rubber lines are fine, just make sure you are running something rated for oil up to 300 degrees. Heater hose is not compatible with trans fluid. I forget what type exactly I used but I got it at a hydraulic shop and it worked flawlessly for years.

For the filter not a bad idea, but I'm not sure if restricting the cooling circuit is a good idea once the filter fills up a bit.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts
The filter idea is not a bad idea. Restricting the cooling circuit due to a clogged filter is most definitely NOT a good idea, so be sure to use a filter with a bypass capability.

Google for "dodge cummins external transmission filter" and you'll find a lot, including kits. BD makes a kit - looks kind of pricey (though it does include hoses and fittings) but the included filter is a bypass filter. If you can find a filter number you like (think engine oil filter), you can find an appropriate base from Derale or others and make your own setup for considerably less than BD's
Old 01-15-2018, 12:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
For a while I was planning on installing a bypass filter by teeing into the cooler lines. Note that this is different than a full flow filter with a bypass capability. A true bypass filter installed in this way will do nothing to impede fluid flow, and only bypass a small amount of fluid in the cooler circuit to send through the filter. I was going to use Baldwin B6 spin on filters and get the filter head from Amazon or Graingers. Never ended up doing it before I sold my truck with the auto transmission.

I have a bypass filter installed in the cooling system on my current truck where I teed into the heater core lines. Works beautifully, and you wouldn't believe the crud it pulls out of the coolant.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnite
I have a bypass filter installed in the cooling system on my current truck where I teed into the heater core lines. Works beautifully, and you wouldn't believe the crud it pulls out of the coolant.
Pictures and source for this??
Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Not sure what you mean by what my source was. I got the idea while reading some threads at bobistheoilguy.com. The filter housing is a motorguard, and I've got some pics here:

Index of /coolant-bypass

My install is admittedly kind of ghetto. I have the housing mounted on a small section of 2x6, and cut a channel so the 2x6 is held in place by the passenger side battery hold down bolt.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the first filter change--that was the nastiest by far. Subsequent changes still had a bunch of gray/brown muck, but weren't nearly as nasty as that first one. I think the first one really cleaned out the system. If I can remember I'll try to take some shots when I change it in the spring.

To bring this back on track, I definitely would NOT use this setup for a transmission filter. The Motorguard has some plastic pieces which would not hold up well to the heat of transmission fluid, especially on a truck that works hard. For coolant though, it's been working great for over 6 years.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Midnite
Not sure what you mean by what my source was. I got the idea while reading some threads at bobistheoilguy.com. The filter housing is a motorguard, and I've got some pics here:

Index of /coolant-bypass

My install is admittedly kind of ghetto. I have the housing mounted on a small section of 2x6, and cut a channel so the 2x6 is held in place by the passenger side battery hold down bolt.

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the first filter change--that was the nastiest by far. Subsequent changes still had a bunch of gray/brown muck, but weren't nearly as nasty as that first one. I think the first one really cleaned out the system. If I can remember I'll try to take some shots when I change it in the spring.

To bring this back on track, I definitely would NOT use this setup for a transmission filter. The Motorguard has some plastic pieces which would not hold up well to the heat of transmission fluid, especially on a truck that works hard. For coolant though, it's been working great for over 6 years.
I thought it was a kit. No biggie. Thanks for the idea, though. Something to do this spring for my ride.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:37 PM

Btw, I use magnefine filters. Change them out every spring. Mine is installed on the return line, after the trans cooler. Easy to swap out, and collects the fine particles that are sent out of the trans fluid heading to the cooler in front of the radiator. I've disassembled them from time to time, and it collects the extremely fine metal dust expelled out of the trans before it's sent back to the pan
http://magnefinefilters.com
Old 01-16-2018, 03:38 PM

Well, I guess you could call it a kit--just one I put together myself!

Here's the parts list:
1. Motorguard M-30
2. (2) 3/8 to 1/2" tees
3. (2) 1/4" NPT to hose barb brass 90 deg. fittings
4. About 8 ft of 3/8" heater hose
5. (8) hose clamps
6. Teflon tape

I got the Motorguard off Amazon and everything else from my local NAPA.

Interesting point about the Magnefines. I wonder how much of the fine metallic mud would be caught by a filter?