12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Finished [S]tabbing my KDP to death!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TIMMY22
Mine had a wire loom with one of those factory cable ties with point/barb setup that snaps into a round hole right in the center of the plastic shroud at the bottom. So, when I was lifting it out, I had some resitance there. Looked underneath and saw the culprit attached to the shroud.
Mine had that factory zip tie also . Took me awhile to figure that little issue out, lol.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by frmll300
Thanks for the pics. How long did it take? I'm trying to decide whether to do it myself or pay $300 to have it done including seals .

It took me about 3hrs to do mine, i could do it in half that time now been there done that goes a long way.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I'm coming into this kind of late but I just bought a '97 and wondered why one would want to do all of this. What is the purpose or benefit that this TST device brings to the truck?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:02 PM
Banned

It fix's the problem of a Dowel pin falling out and into the gear's and causing lots of expenive damage. It's a $48 fix, and worth every penny and should be a must for any 12v CTD owner.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cuidate
I know I'm coming into this kind of late but I just bought a '97 and wondered why one would want to do all of this. What is the purpose or benefit that this TST device brings to the truck?
The dowel pin issue applies to all '89-'98 12 valve Rams with Cummins engines and many other non-Dodge Cummins 12 valve engines. If you have not heard of the issue, or you heard yet have done nothing and you are the owner of one of these vehicles listen up. A dowel pin failure could destroy your engine completely or do no damage at all.
You roll the dice.

The aluminum front gear housing on the 5.9 Cummins is precisely located on the front of the cast iron engine block using dowel pins. The dowel pin is about 5/16" diameter by 3/4" length made of steel. During engine assembly the dowel pins are driven into holes drilled in the block such that about half their length protrudes. Matching holes in the gear housing permit a precise fit of the housing the block. Several cap screws are used to hold the housing to the block. The problem with the dowel pin occurs because the hole in the aluminum gear housing was drilled through. During engine operation vibration could cause the dowel pin to work its way out of the hole and fall into the gear case. When the dowel pin falls, it can drop right to the oil pan or land in the gear housing, causing no damage at all.

On the other hand, the pin can be caught in the camshaft gear and forced into the aluminum gear housing, breaking out a big chunk of the housing which would cause a huge oil leak and an expensive, time consuming failure.

Worst-case failure is when the dowel pin goes between the cam and crank gears, or cam and injection pump gears, breaking the gear off the camshaft. The camshaft stops rotating instantly causing valves to stop operating, leaving some valves open and some closed. The crankshaft continues to rotate for a few seconds, slamming pistons into valves, and possibly ruining block, crank, rods, cylinder head, and valve train. Almost no reusable parts in this case, a complete engine swap could be required.

If you are the owner of one of these 12 valve 5.9 engines and you haven't taken preventive action, suggest you take action before the vehicle strands you in a bad location and sticks you with an very expensive repair bill.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 PM

OUTSTANDING!!!!

Dieselfuelonly, you are The Man for this week! (especially since I get to do the same job this weekend on our "new to us" 3500)

For those who asked what is costs to have somebody else do it - I was quoted $445 by local shop - OUCH.... drove down to Cummins NW and bought the tab, longer bolt, seal kit WITH o-ring and that big ol' gasket for a heck of a lot less - picked up a gen-yoo-ine Cummins oil filter too. This little one ton is gonna feel a lot more loved real soon here.

Thanks so much for posting all this great info and pictures just at the perfect time for me!
Old 07-05-2007, 09:40 PM

My KDP kit from TST just came in today...
There sure isn't much in the box for $50...a seal, an installer, a long bolt, a metal tap, a tube of RTV, a tiny tube of threadlocker & about 3 pages of instructions.
Doesn't look like it'd be all that hard for someone to make their own tab & their own small KDP kit.
This is a great thread especially with all the pictures, it REALLY helps that much more.
Now I just have to get out there & get it done...in my spare time