12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Valve clatter adjusting precision?

Old 04-22-2012, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Valve clatter adjusting precision?

Hi everyone,

I took my DD out for a road trip about 2000Kl return recently and noticed after returning I had a clatter noise from the engine mainly when decelerating. I then adjusted the lash according to the instructions from posts about it here, it seems quieter but now more noticeable on idle. I am wondering if I need to have TDC located with the pin as a shop would "probably" do to get the required precision to eliminate the clatter. The sound is not too load now but still can be heard from a discerning ear like mine.

If I get them adjusted a a shop and still hear the noise is the next step to replace the lifters or???
Thanks for any advice/suggestions in advance.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:34 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Power_2
Hi everyone,

I took my DD out for a road trip about 2000Kl return recently and noticed after returning I had a clatter noise from the engine mainly when decelerating. I then adjusted the lash according to the instructions from posts about it here, it seems quieter but now more noticeable on idle. I am wondering if I need to have TDC located with the pin as a shop would "probably" do to get the required precision to eliminate the clatter. The sound is not too load now but still can be heard from a discerning ear like mine.

If I get them adjusted a a shop and still hear the noise is the next step to replace the lifters or???
Thanks for any advice/suggestions in advance.
You shouldn't need the engine pinned at TDC to set valves. As long as it's close, you're good. Generally speaking anywhere on inner base circle is fine, but that being said - close to TDC is best.

What did you set the valves to? And did you do it with the engine stone cold?
Old 04-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9812VRam,

I set them to a loose 0.010 Intake and 0.020 Exhaust and it was stone cold. I noticed today after engine got to normal temp that I could barely hear them clatter but still able to hear it. I will reset them alittle tighter and see what results are.
Thanks for your input.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I always adj my sold lifter engines .001 or .002 tighter than what the manual calls for becuase if I dont they always clatter- fought this fight with
Toyota 22R
Honda xr dirtbike
honda TRX500FA quad
even my generator...
I dont ever run my engines super hard so I have no worries of looseing my clearence due to white hot exahust valves.