Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Cummins dealer requires engine serial number (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/cummins-dealer-requires-engine-serial-number-215316/)

APD 08-26-2008 12:20 PM

Cummins dealer requires engine serial number

When I call Cummins Northeast, they wont look up any parts/prices without giving them an engine serial number first!!!
The guy says he cant look it up by year and make.
When I lived out west the cummins dealer didnt need it.
Anybody else have this problem?

AggieJustin 08-26-2008 12:26 PM

I've noticed that Cummins Southern Plains has been doing this lately as well. In the past I would just tell them what it was and they'd pull the number, but the last two trips in there, they asked for the engine number. Might be a change in their computer system or how they are doing parts lookup.

killed300ex 08-26-2008 12:30 PM

when I buy parts back in NH they need the engine number before they will get you any parts. Workin out in oklahoma and needed to order parts, I made sure to get my engine number and they didnt even ask for it. Dunno what the differance is but it makes it much easier to get parts.

Dartmouth 12V 08-26-2008 05:28 PM

Cummins Northeast has required the number for at least 5 years. The reason that I have heard was that they were getting frustrated with people giving wrong part numbers and getting parts for a similar but not identical engine.

infidel 08-26-2008 06:19 PM

An engine data plate with the info you need is located on the driver side of the timing gear case. Among other things, this plate has the date of manufacture, the CLP, the engine serial number, and the timing specification.

http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Facts/f.../DataPlate.gif

Tate 08-26-2008 06:27 PM

Cummins in Calgary has wanted my serial number whenever I call over the phone. Whenever I have gone in, the never ask for it. They should keep it on file for you, so you shouldn't have to keep giving it to them. I just give them my name or phone number now.

APD 08-26-2008 09:03 PM

Oh, I know where to find the number, I was just curious if other cummins dealers are doing this because my former cummins shop did not.

Dave Miller 08-26-2008 10:07 PM

Cummins West in Fresno calif has needed it too. Not a problem..just keep it handy.

bullfrog5.9 08-26-2008 10:21 PM

i hav never need to call cummins for parts but the i hate when they ask. like when i go to dealer ship for parts they ask for truck vin i say for what y do u need there just like we just need it i say to them i know everything bout the truck and i see other dealer ships dont ask for vin they ask the ?s like year diesel/gas 4x4 or 2wd. i think there to lazy to ask all the ?s and just want the vin/number so it vrings up everything for them easyer

johnh 08-26-2008 10:35 PM

the cpl is needed to insure you get the right part, otherwise the part you get might not fit
i always have mine handy when ordering parts from cummins (not very often)

Tate 08-27-2008 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by bullfrog5.9 (Post 2190261)
i hav never need to call cummins for parts but the i hate when they ask. like when i go to dealer ship for parts they ask for truck vin i say for what y do u need there just like we just need it i say to them i know everything bout the truck and i see other dealer ships dont ask for vin they ask the ?s like year diesel/gas 4x4 or 2wd. i think there to lazy to ask all the ?s and just want the vin/number so it vrings up everything for them easyer

When I had to put a new seal in the tailshaft of my tranny, they wanted the VIN handy. They said there were 3 different seals for that tranny, and they needed teh VIN to find out which one it was. I told them, its the biggest one available, as I already had access to the two smaller ones and they were too small. "oh, we still need the VIN so we can be sure". I finally get the VIN to them, and it narrows it down to two. I tell them again that I need the biggest one. "Well, we don't know which one is the biggest one. We'll put them both out so you can figure it out when you get here".

robert chilton 08-27-2008 09:39 PM

I have had my truck for about three years now and the tag was always missing from the engine. My Cummins dealer wanted the number last time I got parts. The lady managed to get it from Chrysler with my VIN. Better luck than me as I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a Chrysler rep in India or Pakistan only to be told to take it to the dealer so that they could read the missing tag on the motor!!!! Good thing Chrysler makes a good truck but there custumer service sucks most of the time. Rant off. Anyways back to the Cummins dealer. My local Cummins dealer (1 of 7 Cummins Atlantic) here sucks and is banned from use by my military command due to poor service and tech reps. They use the Richmond branch. I refuse to use the Roanoke branch and will go to a Case dealer, mail order or go online rather than give them a dime. The one in South Carolina is awesome and I miss them. Same Company owns them all. Go figure! I had this same conversation with one of our local board advertisers in VA Beach and he mail orders from Cummins just to avoid our local branch. Good thing I dont brake down much.

tfdcruiser 08-27-2008 10:26 PM

I could see that it could help you get the right part if you know it is for your engine. but Ihave seen alot of upgrades on this forum that call for a part from a newer or different year truck, e.g. the lift pump upgrade for 1st gens.

sewman 08-28-2008 11:40 AM

Ok,now my rant,my local Cummins (toledo) always ask f/ser# so I have it on a file card,ready f/them.I just called today f/a cps they ask yr & ser# told them,they said ok we have go over there,wrong one,he says it's f/a a 24v
I'm lucky I sent my son there,I feel like calling them back & asking what is the purpose of giving them the ser #?
The parts guy said in the future tell them it's a 97??
Bob

robert chilton 08-28-2008 01:18 PM

Need a serial number for a 95 manual truck? I can PM ya mine if it helps Your 94 and my 95 should be identical. I just love the fact that the PN off the old part is no longer good enough.