Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/)
-   -   Converter Shutter??? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/12-valve-engine-drivetrain-100/converter-shutter-126028/)

fairlane999 12-01-2006 04:05 AM

Converter Shutter???

I just pulled my first time with my 96 2500 4x4 auto 138000mi. I pulled my camper which is about 7000lb. A couple of time when I was going to accelerate it would shutter kinda the way a standard does when the flywheel needs surfacing. Latter I made it do it when I punched it in overdrive. I did some searches on here and hear talk about tq converter shutter. Is this what I am expericing?? Also when I go to start off even if not towing rpm goes to 2000 as if i have a 2800 rpm stall is that common for stock and can I do something to the computer to lower the stall? Thanks for any help I'm just lost this is my first diesel but not my last. Oh yea the only mods I know of is the fuel pump has an upgraded plate but dont know what size.

fairlane999 12-01-2006 04:21 AM

I just pulled my first time with my 96 2500 4x4 auto 138000mi. I pulled my camper which is about 7000lb. A couple of time when I was going to accelerate it would shutter kinda the way a standard does when the flywheel needs surfacing. Latter I made it do it when I punched it in overdrive. I did some searches on here and hear talk about tq converter shutter. Is this what I am expericing?? Also when I go to start off even if not towing rpm goes to 2000 as if i have a 2800 rpm stall is that common for stock and can I do something to the computer to lower the stall? Thanks for any help I'm just lost this is my first diesel but not my last. Oh yea the only mods I know of is the fuel pump has an upgraded plate but dont know what size.

Added signature

jonesracing 12-01-2006 07:56 PM

Converter Shutter

Yes it is your Converter. I just replaced my converter and did a shift kit at the same time. my trans has 180k miles on it and shifts like new only better.

Teddy Bear 12-01-2006 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by fairlane999 (Post 1230809)
Also when I go to start off even if not towing rpm goes to 2000 as if i have a 2800 rpm stall is that common for stock and can I do something to the computer to lower the stall?

The only way to eliminate that is by buying an aftermarket torque converter. If you have the money I would seriously look into upgrading your transmission. With a good valve body and torque converter these transmissions arent so bad, but driving one with the stock converter = [yuk]

fairlane999 12-02-2006 12:45 AM

I guess I'll pose this to both of you and anyone else who wants to chime in. In my near stock condition I really appreciate my good fuel milage@ about 19 mpg. What happened to your milage after all those mods??? And maybe a better question is which of the mods hurt the mileage the most if any.

Fueling around 12-02-2006 07:52 PM

Mileage doesn't usually decrease unless the RFG lets go.

As far as being stock.... I suspect that plate contributed to your converter problems.