12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

Can I burn used engine oil?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been burning used oil in my trucks for 30 years. Heavy in the old detroits, a gallon to a tank in the dodges, one 12 valve one 24 valve. Run it when I have it in the cummins red top n14. Engines run quieter and smoother and better mileage with wo.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pind
just an FYI

The cummins system was called Centinel.

Basically automatically took oil from the crankcase end of the unit, and pushed it back to the fuel tanks. Engine oil was replenished from an OEM supplied make-up oil tank mounted on board.

Worked fairly well, however, with the attention span of most operators these days, I don't see the make up tank getting checked often enough, would probably lead to problems down the road.
If you think they would have problems checking that wait till they find a urea tank on 'em too.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by bob4x4
Due a lil more research Cummins actually has had systems built in that would pump waste oil into fuel system then refill crankcase with fresh oil on the fly.

My injectors are running smoother after running waste oil

Bob
Read all the posts. I mention Cummins system in message #45. The one I was referring to is made by Cummins

Used engine lubricating oil can be blended with fuel using the Cummins Lube Oil Blender, Part Number
3376317 (110 volt, 60 Hz) or Part Number 3376362 (220 volt, 50 Hz). This process can be used to
supplement fuel supply as well as provide a means of disposing of used lubricating oil.
To blend used engine oil with fuel, follow the instructions provided with the Cummins Lube Oil Blender.

You got one of those? Or do you just dump your contaminate filled oil directly into the tank. Let me know how great that engine is running when it gets to a half million miles.
Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The cummins system was called Centinel.

Basically automatically took oil from the crankcase end of the unit, and pushed it back to the fuel tanks. Engine oil was replenished from an OEM supplied make-up oil tank mounted on board.
And it's no longer available in the US.
When the switchover to ULSD happened it also became illegal to add used oil to diesel in all 50 states.
Highly doubt anyone is checking though...
Old 04-25-2008, 07:27 PM

As of a year ago the centinel was still available, not for the b series 5.9

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/.../centinel.html

I would like to know what a "small amount" is. I'm betting it isn't the 30:1 mix that has been suggested by some posters. I see no wisdom in taking the contaminates out of the bottom of the engine, then feeding them into the top. I ran across a list from Cummins of all the bad stuff in used oil (the reason we change our oil) earlier today, but can't find it now. The list included dirt and sulphuric acid, among other things. So go ahead guys, dump that crap into your fuel as much as you want, and convince yourselves that you are getting better mileage, saving money, etc., etc. I'll just keep chugging towards 700k miles.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GAmes
As of a year ago the centinel was still available, not for the b series 5.9

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/.../centinel.html

I would like to know what a "small amount" is. I'm betting it isn't the 30:1 mix that has been suggested by some posters. I see no wisdom in taking the contaminates out of the bottom of the engine, then feeding them into the top. I ran across a list from Cummins of all the bad stuff in used oil (the reason we change our oil) earlier today, but can't find it now. The list included dirt and sulphuric acid, among other things. So go ahead guys, dump that crap into your fuel as much as you want, and convince yourselves that you are getting better mileage, saving money, etc., etc. I'll just keep chugging towards 700k miles.
Sounds like a deal. Couple of comments, Cummins said that 5% was fine, they are supposed to know. And.... I have 950,000 on my N14 red top. I just added 10 gallons of #2 and two gallons of WO to my 12 valve, then went over to eat a free dinner. Any time pork chops are better than waste oil...
Old 04-26-2008, 07:49 AM

Are we trying to say my cummins won't burn the same mix that my old IDI ferd loved 70% wmo 30% dino ?
Old 05-18-2008, 10:43 AM

so i can see where this will work but do ya'll just dump it into the tank and hope that it mixes or do you take the fuel home and mix it or what? and can i get a definitive answer on putting used synthetic oil into the tank.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:59 AM

burning 65%+ motor oil/ATF right now...

no real difference in startup or running.... except cummins runs smoother with better fuel mileage.

I get a puff of smoke during startup, then can't see anymore smoke.
does exact same with 100% diesel.

idle was adjusted upwards a bit for 65% oil mixture. but my idle was a bit low to begin with.

starting to think the best way is to source your waste oil from a source that keeps it clean. ATF flush typically uses 5 gallons. avoid waste motor oils from a repair shop as they will mix oils contaminated with antifreeze from blown head gasket jobs.

Originally Posted by shorthair
Are we trying to say my cummins won't burn the same mix that my old IDI ferd loved 70% wmo 30% dino ?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
can i get a definitive answer on putting used synthetic oil into the tank.
I know a couple of people who have tried it in low percentage, a gallon per tank. Both said it smoked quite a bit, this indicates to me it doesn't burn well.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I see a guy running around here in a 12v that burns oil. 3 gallons per tank (27 gal diesel) and his truck smokes so much. Its annoying when he drives by because it hazes at idle and smokes like crazy when he hits the pedal. Hes been doing it for 40k miles though and hasnt had any problems.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:42 PM

no way I'd knowingly run synthetic. however... if one is running waste oil. there's no way to know if synthetic got mixed in...

I'm running 50%+ with no smoke, except a puff at startup. which is exact same running 100% diesel.

Originally Posted by infidel
"can i get a definitive answer on putting used synthetic oil into the tank."

I know a couple of people who have tried it in low percentage, a gallon per tank. Both said it smoked quite a bit, this indicates to me it doesn't burn well.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:05 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I have read where others say their sump rises when they use WMO. That would mean to me that it is not fully burning and going past the rings.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM

thanks... I'll have to check my oil levels more oftern

Originally Posted by Clayten
I have read where others say their sump rises when they use WMO. That would mean to me that it is not fully burning and going past the rings.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM

Nobody has mention this www.myfastfuel.com/index.html .They claim they use a polymer filter like The US Army has used for ages to remove the contaminants and mix varying amounts of diesel in then pump it in to the vehicle tank .Anybody have any experience with it?

Quick Reply: Can I burn used engine oil?