12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

buying (new to me) truck

Old 03-07-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question buying (new to me) truck

I joined the forum because I am shopping for a truck and was hoping to find some tips from current owners. Being a truck person all my driving life (you don't want to know how long) and and having had a lot of experience with diesels (heavy equipment operation, maintenance and mechanics) I have never owned a diesel pickup. I am shopping for a 3/4 or 1 ton, diesel dodge(not looking at other makes) manual tranny 1999 to 2001 around 100k miles.The price is right and it should perform all the tasks I find necessary. My questions are what are the common problems to look for while shopping, what is a #53 block and how do I know what it is, is there an easy or quick way to determine if the fuel(lift)pump is operating properly (worried about potential damage to the expensive injector pump) and any other tips any of you may be able to pass along. I am mechanically inclined and perform all my own maintenance and repairs including rebuilds but am in need of education with todays high performance diesel engines. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:33 PM

I prefur the 12v mech. inj. myself , but lets how much info I can give you beyound that .
53 block is identifide by a 53 cast into the block onthe drivers side behind the power steering - about , the lift pump can be heard , but may make noise and not pump , so fuel presure gauge is best [ and a full set of gauges , exhaust , fuel pressure , AT temp ]
Theres something called the KDP killer dowle pin not sure what yrs - do a search on this site. [ under ft. timing cover , can fall out & do all sorts of ugly]
The drive train is weak for the Cummins eng. -better clutch MT, 5th gear nut some yrs. , AT TQ is weak link - it goes so goes trans. - then trans can be weak point if towing heavy.
Welcome some others should tell more.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:30 PM

I know you said you are only looking at Cummins but my story may help you appreciate the 12 valves.
My previous truck was a '97 PSD and though that engine was great it required a lot more fussy doodling than the 12 valve I have now.The difference in ease of wrenching is really amazing.

I would look for a truck that you can learn something about its history. My truck needed some cosmetic things which put off some buyers, but I could tell from talking to the owner that the engine/drivetrain had been treated right.

Get a good engine and a tight drivetrain and you will be in heaven.

I look for trucks that never saw off road or farms/construction sites. Commuter trucks more than anything else. Maybe pulled something on the weekends in the summer. Had an owner that believed in scheduled service.
Not modded but for maybe shocks tires and rims and the like. I don't like a heavy modded truck. It usually signals a heavy foot.

I know some have had no problems with the 53 block, but I would walk away from any 53 block. Its just not worth the risk. There are plenty of trucks out there without that block for those that can wait.

Big Jimmy
Old 03-07-2006, 11:04 PM

Thanks for the info, will probably have more questions.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I am sure to have more questions.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:48 PM

Ok....

24 valve problems:

Lift pump going bad; thus, causing injection pump to go bad due to no fuel lubrication. Cost of part: $1k-2k You can catch this on time with a fuel pressure gauge so you don't destroy the inj. pump. But I think sooner or later it will go out no matter what, not sure though. They sell a FASS lift pump that's more durable than the stock so you don't have to worry about it.

TPS - throttle position sensor tends to go bad.

#53 block...

Engine is all computerized.

12 valve problems:

KDP - easy fix... just get a jig kit or take the timing gear cover off. TST sells a kit.

5th gear nut for nv4500 manual transmission (found on 3/4 ton): engine has so much torque it loosens the nut holding 5th gear in place. Best to go easy on the throttle if driving in 5th gear under 1600 rpm's. If the nut falls off, you just have to open the tranny and put it back on. Doesn't damage the tranny though...

Engine is not computerized... You can obtain cheaper horsepower.

Fuel mileage is about the same for both engines.